taking too long in the shower (pt 3)

Grinning from ear to ear, Kai dropped down onto the bed beside Cole. Lately, the two had been spending more time together, whether it was partnering up for patrols of Ninjago or hanging out in each other's rooms well past curfew - not that the ninja adhered to the curfew rules most of the time.
"Got us some snacks," He said, and out of his pockets spilled packets and bars and pots of sweets. Cole stared in astonishment as Kai reached up into his hoodie and slid out a cake.

"What just happened?"
"What?" Kai asked, oblivious as he put the cake down between them and pulled two forks out from his sleeve.
"You- the cake- nevermind," Cole sighed, shaking his head. Kai gave him his signature lopsided smile as Cole wasted no more time and stabbed his fork into his cake, closing his chocolate eyes to relish the taste.

Cole's room was Kai's preferred hangout spot. The lighting was always cosy, he had a massive bed covered in blankets, and the window faced the east so they could watch the sun and moon rise when they chatted until the evening or morning were ready to bleed into the sky.
There was also the little ornaments and trinkets he had lying around. If Cole dozed off, or they were sat in a comfortable silence, Kai would observe each and every one. They were past gifts or memoirs from old quests - even if Kai didn't understand why he kept something, he could either ask or keep it as a fun game of guessing why he found it so special.

It was little things like that, that were making him fall hard for Cole Brookstone. Each wave thrown his way, each croak of his voice he had when he got flustered, each accidental touch on his hand being as soft as a butterfly's wings.
Kai was being bold, he knew he was, when he held his hand under the blanket in the living room a week ago. But Cole had gone along with it, so Kai wasn't sure what to think. It could always be out of kindness, since the earth ninja was one to compromise and sacrifice for his friends. But then again, he had gladly followed him up to his room, knowing fully well that Kai was into guys just like him.

Kai breathed out through his nose forcefully. He was going to spiral if he kept plunging into his thoughts like this. He looked up and was met with Cole's warm eyes fixed on his.
"You alright?" With anyone else, he might've added a 'buddy' or 'man' onto the end of that, but both of them could feel the grey spot there: a question of 'What are we to each other?' that neither was willing to ask or answer just yet. Sometimes he settled for his name, and that was enough for butterflies to swirl, but most of the time they just spoke and tried to avoid nicknames, pet names and any other terms.

It was just Kai and Cole and both of them were good with that - for now.
"All good," Kai replied, stuffing his face with the soft sponge before Cole could question further.

Before they knew it, the small cake had become a few crumbs and two forks on a plate, practically licked clean. Cole rested his head against the maroon wall and put a hand on his stomach.
"I don't think I can ever eat again,"
"You say that, but you'll be the first down to breakfast tomorrow,"
"You know me too well," Cole chuckled, but the room fell silent. This... situation... of theirs got increasingly awkward as they spent more time together and still never spoke about the elephant in the room. It was relaxed mostly, but the second that a flirtatious comment of sorts was made, the pair never knew how to bounce back. Kai's fingers began dancing frantically on his knee.

"You're right though, I'm stuffed," Kai groaned, and Cole's body sunk into the bed thankfully, glad that Kai had saved the situation. "I'm so bloated, I feel like I can't stand up,"
"Urghhh," Cole rubbed his eyes, a sudden post-meal exhaustion settling over him. He looked over to see Kai yawning, and it triggered a yawn from him too.

"What time is it?"
Kai peered down at his watch. "Quarter to eleven,"
"I might sleep, are you staying here tonight?"
Kai hesitated, his fingers paused, hovering over his knee.
"I- I reckon I should leave you to have your room to yourself for one night at least,"