Chapter Twenty-Six: The Summit

Countdown: 16 hours, 4 deaths

Aurelia remains five steps behind Antonius Gemellus, her chin tucked to her chest. Her heartbeat thunders so loudly in her ears she is surprised it does not echo off the marble halls.

They descend the stairs and Aurelia hears the mercenaries welcoming another Senator to the Summit. Moments later, Antonius stops in front of a pair of doors, and turns to Aurelia with a look of expectant impatience.

A second too late, Aurelia realizes what she is supposed to do. There are a few calls of greeting as Gemellus enters, and Aurelia silently closes the door behind him. She realizes in that instant, as she stands alone in the hallway, that she has no idea where the kitchen is.

She stands still as a statue, frozen by the realization that she may have just ruined her chances of success by forgetting to ask Antonius for a map. She is startled out of her stupor when the door opens again and a servant girl slips out.

The girl is clearly citizenry- dark hair, dark eyes, bronze skin, a pretty, sturdy thing. She eyes Aurelia speculatively.

"You're new," she says, and Aurelia nods.

"I'm the alternate," she replies, and the girl nods as though it explains everything.

"My first Summit was a nightmare," the girl murmurs, a slight smile curving her lips. "They prepped me for everything but I was such a nervous wreck I dropped the Primo's hors-d'oeuvres," she adds with a conspiratorial nudge against Aurelia's elbow.

"I had to work extra hard that night to convince him to let me keep my job," she says, and then makes a bulge in her cheek with her tongue and a lewd gesture with her hand.

"Oh," Aurelia manages, following the girl down the hall, figuring that she at least knows where she is going.

The girl glances over at her, and her eyes widen. "Don't tell me Gemellus hasn't sampled the goods!" she exclaims, and Aurelia shakes her head. The girl rolls her eyes. "Well, he will tonight. That's half of why they bring us here, you know."

Aurelia swallows. "Oh," she says again.

"You'll be fine. I've heard Gemellus is quick about it and easy to please, at least. Let me know if you need anything and I'll help you wherever I can. Kira," she introduces herself, and offers her hand.

Aurelia lets out a breath she hadn't even been aware she'd been holding and shakes it. "Thanks," she murmurs. "Laora," she introduces herself. 

"The Primo likes his wine and needs a re-fill. Are you headed to the kitchen to pop the cork on yours?" Kira asks, and Aurelia nods, feeling a momentary easing of the tension across her shoulders when she realizes that the pretty servant girl has unwittingly rescued her. 

"To stash the other two and get the hors-d'oeuvres too," Aurelia says.

Kira pops open another door hidden in the paneling of the walls- one Aurelia truly never would have been able to find on her own-, and gestures her through the servant's passage to the kitchen.