She sat on the chair like the queen she was. No kidding, but mom was gorgeous. Her beauty intimidated me at times.

She was still in her forties but looked like she hadn't aged a day over thirty. She had stunning light skin that glowed effortlessly. Her brown orbs reminded me of glass. I had gotten so used to the coldness and hollowness of her eyes that it barely bothers me anymore.

Her outfit was a two-piece, black blazer and matching suit pants. Her black hair was pulled backwards in a neat low bun I feared was too tight.

Her makeup was as flawless as always. It matched the bold red lips she went with. She looked so professional. I wouldn't even call her a mom if I wasn't related to her. She finished off the whole look with expensive pieces of jewellery gracing her neck.

If she saw me, she didn't look surprised in the least. She kept her blank face trained on me as I walked down the staircase.

"Good morning," I said curtly.

My eyes scanned the bright living room and rested on the light-skinned boy clad in PJ bottoms and a white long-sleeved Tee, sprawled on the black settee with a light smile on his lips. Khalil took after our mom with his skin and eyes. He acted more like my dad.

No one acted like the Ice witch.

"Niniola," She called coldly but I ignored her. I had nothing to say to her.

"Hey, baby sis." He grinned at me. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as I walked toward him. I planted a kiss on his cheek once I got to him.

"What's with the surprise visit you guys? I'm doing pretty well on my own. I don't need you guys to be here." I frowned, leaning against the settee Khalil was seated on.

I watched my mother grab a serviette paper and dabbed it gently on her mouth before turning to me.

"Last I checked, it's still my house," I knew she wasn't done. I mean, Ameera Malik always had something to say.

"Mommy..." Khalil trailed off. Things were starting to get heated up. The tension in the room got heightened with each passing second, nearing its peak. He could sense the brewing storm.

"It didn't look like you had it all under control the last time you went unconscious because of a drug overdose. Pardon me if I'm trying to keep tabs on my impulsive daughter." She said without batting an eyelash.

Leave it to her with the stinging insults. That stung, so hard. I felt a banging headache hit me at once. My head was starting to throb so hard. Harder than it had been banging a few minutes earlier.

Her words were like knives, they pierced and cut through my soul. It left me more broken than I was. She knew how brutal she could get with words and she was using them perfectly.

I tried to convince myself that it doesn't hurt. It didn't hurt but I'll be damned. It got a thousand times worse every damn time.

I scoffed out a humourless laugh and bit my lips, almost tasting the blood I drew out.

"Mom!" Khalil cut her off, obviously trying to stop her from saying anything else.

Like that has ever stopped Ameera Eniola Malik.

I shot him a thankful smile before turning back to the stoic-faced woman staring back at me unflinchingly.