EPILOGUE

"What do you mean you don't have it?"

I looked over from the long display of cheap pens and knick-knacks. The poor guy behind the counter looked almost frightened by Xavier standing tall, looming over him with a scowl on his face. I thought about intervening, but just kept looking at the little sparkly snowmen in various colors, deciding to eavesdrop instead.

"I've checked our back stock and it's not back there, sir. I'm sorry," the clerk said, looking around for someone to save him.

"Harry," I heard Xavier snap. I shuffled over to him and frowned apologetically at the guy. "Show him your phone. It says you have three two-foot LED birch trees in stock on your website."

I slid a gentle hand into Xavier's calloused one that was clenched by his side. "It's okay, Xavier. We don't need it," I mumbled, starting to feel embarrassed.

The guy excused himself, claiming that he was going to check one more time. I looked around the Christmas store until he was out of earshot and then snapped my neck to Xavier.

He'd grown his beard out, giving him a more rugged, lumberjack look to him with his red and black flannel and brown Carhartt. His hair was a bit longer, too, curls forming in the dark locs. I would never get tired of looking at him.

"What is wrong with you?"

He furrowed his eyebrows. "You said you wanted the stupid tree, so I'm getting you the stupid tree," he said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Not if it means you're gonna traumatize the employees, babe," I whispered. "It's okay if they don't have it. It's Christmas time, they deal with enough already."

"Need I remind you that this is our first Christmas together in our own place?" he sighed, squeezing my hand. "I just want it to be perfect for you. And if it involves finding you a light-up tree to put on top of the fireplace, I'm gonna find it."

We got a small house. It was a two bedroom, two bathroom townhouse that we were just renting until we could afford something better. Honestly though, it was perfect. All new appliances, a fully functional fireplace in the living room, and, most importantly, a space to share with Xavier? It was everything I could ask for, if not more.

"You're hot when you're being a Karen," I smiled, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

He went to make some snide comment when the employee came back holding a box in his arms. I beamed at him, thanking him profusely before Xavier could say something rude.

We paid for the tree and the other overpriced decorations and left the store. I shivered while pushing the cart. Xavier noticed and wrapped an arm around my neck, holding me close.

"Thank you," I said when we finished loading the stuff into his truck. "You'd make a wonderful house husband."

We were ultimately preparing for the party I had been planning since we got the place. As soon as I saw the living room space, I knew I wanted to have everyone over for a Christmas gathering. We sang along to Christmas carols on the way home. I loved these moments with him, just the simple ones. He was such a wholesome guy, so much different than the Xavier I knew a year and a half ago.

I unlocked the door with shaking fingers. The weather was brutal this year. We got six inches of snow, which was fun for maybe a week until it wasn't. The house was so warm and cozy that I physically defrosted in the foyer.

Lady padded towards us at full speed. Ignoring Xavier struggling to keep the swinging door open while trying to carry literally everything in, I fell to my knees to kiss her to death.