5: The Beginning

Xavier didn't bring up what happened the night prior.

In fact, he was all but denying his ever showing up. He didn't answer me when I asked why he kept going back to Tito's if he wasn't interested in picking someone up. Xavier decided it would be good to start off with an introduction video for his project.

"I have work at two so let's make this fast," I muttered, annoyed that I was here in my prime relaxation time with you-know-who. "What do you want me to say?"

I was rushing this but Xavier was taking his sweet time trying to find the right setting for recording, testing the light by pointing the camera at me and fixing the adjustments. He scowled and shook his head, guiding us to the other window in my living room.

The entire process was repeated, me rolling my eyes while I waited ages for Xavier to pick a spot. I didn't hide my irritation when the guy hummed and left the living room altogether. I followed him into the kitchen. "Dude, pick a fucking window and let's get on with it," I spat, pulling a water bottle from the fridge and throwing it back.

"Fine. Sit there," he pointed to a chair he had pulled out at the best angle he could. "So I just want you to say your name, age, what you do, and then just say, like, 'and this is thirty days with me'."

I nearly fell on my ass. "Wait, thirty days?"

Xavier was quiet. "I didn't mention that?"

We held a heated glare, mostly from my end as Xavier looked unbothered. This wasn't going well and we had barely begun. How were we going to last thirty days together when just being in each other's presence was enough to set either one of us off?

After a few moments of intense, unnecessary staring, Xavier rolled his eyes and turned the camera on, jokingly saying, "Action!"

"I'm Harry, I'm twenty-two, I work in my family's deli, and this is thirty days with me?" I wasn't sure what was going to happen but I knew I had to make this the worst presentation Xavier would ever present.

"What is your biggest tip regarding weight and health management?" Xavier asked, making his voice sound professional as if he had practiced these questions in the mirror.

Thinking fast, I quipped, "Check your weight and BMI every chance you get to keep your confidence low and your goals high."

Xavier looked at me weirdly, but didn't ask any questions. Rather, he actually moved on to the next one, choosing to ignore my strange, and highly discouraged, response. This might be easier than I originally thought. Pulling the hood over Xavier's eyes was going to be cake.

"Is there something you can hope to teach the viewers of this fall semester Health Education course taught by Professor Evans?"

That kind of made me laugh, just a little. It seemed this project was important to Xavier . . .

. . . Good.

I hummed, looking at Xavier with a serious look and nodding my head. "I would like for everyone watching to know that taking care of yourself is important and being skinny is everything," I said, then gestured down to my stomach. Xavier's lips parted softly, eyebrows furrowing.

"You don't actually think like that, do you? I know you're an asshole but . . ." he trailed off.

"Think like what? Is it not important to be healthy?"

Xavier looked away for a second, seemingly already regretting his decision to ask me for my help. "Yes, being healthy is important. But being healthy doesn't mean skinny," he huffed.

Dakota walked in at that very second, not realizing she wasn't alone immediately. When she saw us two sitting there, she jumped a foot in the air. But fear turned into shock and confusion upon seeing what two were close together in the kitchen, getting along for the most part.