Chapter 17: How he came to my house

Start from the beginning

"Uh, give me two minutes, please," I call to him, hurrying over to the mirror. I hide the copy of Jane Eyre in the cupboard in case David comes downstairs before I can hide it again.

I look into the mirror, wiping the tears away before glancing at my gaunt and wounded face. I sigh, defeated by what I see, but I decide that the left wasn't as bad as the right. I wrap my cardigan around my body tightly, taking a deep breath to prepare myself. I place my trembling hand on the doorknob and open the door slightly, just revealing a slither of my face.

"Hi," I say, unable to control the tremor in my voice. I watch in dejection as Nathan's face falls and sadness fills his eyes. Then, finally, Nathan clears his throat, and I shift on my feet uncomfortably, and the twisting of shame pulls at my stomach.

"Are you okay? You weren't at work today. You look exhausted," Nathan asks, trying to see behind the door to get a better look at me, but I keep the door planted firmly against me, shielding my bruises from his sight.

"I am so sorry; I was up all night with a sickness bug. I was up most of the night, and I collapsed when I could finally go to sleep. I slept right through my alarms and missed being able to call in," I lie to him, an uneasy smile taking over my face. "I will definitely be there tomorrow,"

"I am sorry to hear that; I hope that it was only a twenty-four-hour thing and you are well enough to work tomorrow," Nathan smiles warmly, and I return his smile, but it drops from my face as the stairs creak.

"Who's at the door?" David asks, a burp erupting from him before he takes a drink from his beer, finishing the bottle and dropping it to the table with a clatter.

"Oh, it's just my boss. He was wondering why I wasn't at work today because I couldn't call in sick," I tell him, looking back at him, being incredibly careful that Nathan would not get a glimpse of the house and the bruises that linger on my face.

My stomach drops as I watch David's face contort in anger, and he stocks towards the door, pushing me away, and I snap my face quickly away from Nathan's sight.

"Thanks for coming. Grace is fine. You can leave and get back to counting your money," David says, trying to close the door, but Nathan stops him with a firm hand against the door.

"No, I'm not done speaking with Grace," He said and pushed the door open wider. I could feel my heart racing faster as I didn't know how David would react to Nathan. The muscles in David's back tighten, and I step forward, snaking my hand down his back and around his arm. I expertly place myself in between David and Nathan without showing my face, but I almost cry out in pain from the throbbing in my ribs.

"David, please, he's my boss. I can't lose this job," I say to him quietly, placing a hand on his chest, trying to calm him down. David appears to be thinking it over and comes to a decision as he stomps back upstairs. I turn to the sliver of a gap in the door, putting my face again the door, so it hides my face.

"Nathan, thank you for checking up on me, but I have to go," I tell him, and his face falls, and my heart drops to my stomach when I see the hurt in his eyes. I try to say something to lighten the mood that hung around us.

"I will see you tomorrow bright and early,"

Nathan nods slowly, smiling, but the hurt still shadows in his eyes, making me feel horrible as I slowly shut the door, and this time Nathan lets the door shut. I let out a deep breath before making my way to the window where I sit and watch his back slowly retreat down the path and watch as he gets into the town car. As the car retreats into the distance, I suddenly wish that he would come back and I could go with him, but I push those thoughts deep down inside myself as they are the most selfish and foolish thoughts.