9: What We've Seen

Start from the beginning

"They seemed worried when you disappeared," Wally said.

"I have Ozpin," Oscar said.

"You can't think that was the only reason?" Pyrrha said.

"Have they given him a reason to think otherwise?" Shine asked.

Pyrrha shook her head. "I cannot believe Jaune, Ren, and Nora would look at it that way. And I didn't think Team RWBY would either."

"Perhaps they've changed more than you think," Shine mused. "More than I thought, too. There's this suspicion and fear in them I've never seen before. Time will tell if they will realize this and turn from it."

"You're that worried about it?" Oscar said.

"Oscar--" Shine looked at him soberly. "--who do you think relies on fear to manipulate everyone?"

"Salem..." Pyrrha said, after a pause.

"Yeah, even I'm putting this one together," Wally said. "But I'm also bushed. Couldn't we pick this up tomorrow?"

"Of course," Shine said.

"Yeah, rest sounds good," Oscar said.

"Well, you girls should go back to your room before the kids think we're going back on our rule," Wally said. "But can I get a goodnight kiss?"

"Not in front of the kids, Wally," Shine said.

"I don't think we care," Pyrrha said.

Oscar looked at the floor.

Shine kissed Wally anyway.

"Good night," she said.

She and Pyrrha left for their room.

"Well, that was interesting, but I can't push my brain further than this, so good night," Shine said, lying down.

Pyrrha stretched out on her stomach and gazed out the window. "I never thanked you two for bringing me back," she said slowly, "did I?"

"You did," Shine said. "Outside your house."

"Oh...but, I was still dazed... Now that it's sunk in, I feel like I should."

"Thank the Lord, then, not me." Shine yawned. "I appreciate it, but I really just helped kick start it, really. Don't make a whole thing out of it. As long as you're satisfied, that's all I need to hear."

"I admit, it's not quite like what I thought," Pyrrha said. "I mean, the team isn't, and...the situation, but it's not something I would trade for, so...I just worry--maybe I'm not going to be able to help them anymore. Why am I here?"

"I'd rather talk about that tomorrow, but perhaps help is not what you used to think," Shine said, sleepily. "You've always been stronger than everyone else. Whether or not you still are, it won't matter that much here. Not after all they've been through. No one is invincible--they know it now. You may not be able to teach them the basics...but a true teacher always finds things to contribute. Be ready to learn, as you always have been, and you'll get your footing back eventually. It would be weird if nothing felt off at all after so many months apart. At least you don't have to be the only newbie."

"True," Pyrrha agreed. "It is easier. I'm glad you two decided to stick around. And Oscar...seems nice. It's a little strange to think of Ozpin being there all the time, but Oscar himself seems like a good person."

"He is," Shine mumbled. "A real gem. Can I go to sleep now?"

"Of course, I'm sorry." Pyrrha went quiet.

She was much more tired than she realized, and sleep took her before too long also.

* * *