Chapter 51

I saw him first.

I always see him first.

His arms were wrapped around me so tightly I thought my bones could break, and there was a pounding plea echoing through the bond, a plea that resounded in my heart. His eyes were closed, as if he was praying to whatever gods were left, as if he couldn't stand to see the site in front of him.

I took the small moment to memorize his face—to take in the beauty of it. The remnants of teas had left stains on his cheeks, and his mouth was drawn into a deep frown. I didn't want to see him in pain, no longer wanted to feel the terror that was being catapulted down the bond.

And so I moved, just an inch, and I felt his whole body go completely still. "I'm here." My voice was broken and quiet, and my body was filled with a deep soreness that made it hard to move, but I did It anyways. I lifted a shaking hand to his cheek, his skin warm against my cold palm. "I'm here." I repeated again, just as quiet.

I waited for him to open those eyes—wanted to see them.

He opened them as the world erupted.

A light brighter than the purest flame had taken to the skies—billowing in rage and fury. The heat from its fire encased body radiated through me, encasing me in warmth. Azriel's head whipped upwards—and I felt his shields click into place around us, but I wasn't afraid.

For there was a recognition in that power that I felt in the air—a chilling, ancient and powerful recognition. "Amren." The name caused Azriel's face to pale even further, and I felt his arms tighten around me.

She was a beautiful gift of carnage and destruction, and I watched, transfixed as she unleashed herself on the planes of the battlefield. The remnants of Hybern's army fled from her attack, and screams of agony and pain reverberated through the air.

She cast herself through every line and barrier Hybern had—hurtling her deadly body through defense after defense. When I was finally able to tear my eyes away from the destruction, my eyes were drawn back to my mate, who was staring at me with unblinking eyes.

"You're real." He says quietly after a moment, his throat bobbing as he stares at me. I nod my head, trying to suppress my own tears that were threatening to spill into my eyes.

"I'm real."

His mouth trembles as he leans forward, bringing his face down to nuzzle my neck, breathing in my scent. He holds me like that for a moment, drinking me in—and as the world around us burns, we sit through it all.

I was content to stay like that forever—to damn the rest of what I had planned, but now that Amren was free, there was only a matter of time.

"We need to get to the Cauldron." My voice lacked any conviction, and I hid my pain as Azriel pulled back, shaking his head.

"You-you were just gone, you need to rest and—"

"Azriel." I look him in the eye, my heart breaking in a whole new way as I looked at him. "Now. I'll be ok." A lie, but he didn't have to know that.

He hesitated, and I could see the war in his eyes, could see the internal fight as he contemplated on what to do. Amren had moved from the battlefield towards the coastline, her once raging light already beginning to falter and fade.

I pleaded with him through my eyes, and I could see the moment he relented, and I allowed him to lift me up in his arms, his shadows trailing over my body as he held me close to his chest.

"Hold on."

Once upon a time, my heart would have thundered and raced in my chest when he took off into the sky, but my eyes were trained on his face, imprinting as much as I can to memory.