Chapter VII - Relentless Pursuit

Start from the beginning

"Commander Tano!" From my right, I heard someone call my name. I searched for the source and also realized that no more clones were in the open. "Here! Right here!" I caught sign of a trooper wearing heavily customized phase II ARC trooper armor. A distinguishing Rishi eel design lined the top center of his helmet, Fives was waving at me to come over to him.

I ducked my head, barely dodging a rocket blast from a revenant far in front of me who had joined the fray, I covered the back of my head and ducked, bracing myself for the explosion that happened behind me at the ARC compound. I spared a look over my back and witnessed the fire from the blast, plus the soldiers who had been propelled forward past the cover and now lay motionless on the ground. There were several wounded whom Barris rushed to heal and get back into the fight. The revenant screeched, provoking me to turn my head back towards it. It ascended up in the air and aimed its shoulder rocket launchers at me as it slowly hovered towards me.

The revenant was suddenly covered with blaster shots and performed evasive motions in an effort to dodge them. I liked to my right, Fives was targeting the revenant along with a few other of my troopers "We'll cover you commander! Come to our position, quickly!"

I sprinted towards Fives while blaster fire from the UAC zoomed past my head, I lifted back up my lightsabers and swiped the shots back at the enemy soldiers firing at me from throughout the battlefield. Several feet in the air, the revenant was still doing its best to avoid the clones' precise shots. It had turned itself around and was now aiming its rocket launchers at them. Seeing its exposed backside engine vent on its jet pack, I caught one blaster bolt coming at me and deflected it with my lightsaber so that it was sent up and hit straight into the corner of the vent.

Sparks spewed out of the revenant's jet pack instantly, and it roared out in anger before its thrusters gave out and it landed on the ground. I made it over to Fives' position and slid into cover.

"What did you just do?" Fives asked. "How did you know that would kill it?"

I looked at Fives and answered his question, "The revenant's codex entry included the schematics of the jet pack. That blaster bolt that landed on it damaged its rear vent where spare energy is dispersed to avoid overworking its flight systems. Now the revenant's flight systems are forcing themselves offline to avoid overheating the device."

"Hmm, well whaddya know?" He said looking at me and giving an appreciative nod

"Incoming!" A clone trooper from behind us yelled out. I looked at the revenant, which was positioned on its hands and knees and aimed its rocket launchers at us. While I was frozen in terror, a clone trooper of the torrent company grabbed my shoulders

"Move back commander!" A clone trooper with a large Republic logo painted on his helmet yanked me downwards behind the large stone we were using for cover, causing me to fall on my back while he stood over me and fired at the revenant. He looked back at me, "You alright sir? Sorry about that, you looked like you were getting possessed or something."

I pushed myself up and looked at the trooper, "No, thanks Jesse, I'm fine, just stunned is all."

"These things are so tough, I thought these new cartridges would finally turn things in our favor!" A clearly upset clone trooper with a small tear painted under the right side of his visor said. "It doesn't matter how hard we hit them, they don't even respond to pain!"

"Tup, just because they don't respond to it doesn't mean they don't feel it." I said.  "They've got to have an exploitable weakness, besides just shooting at them until they die."

The revenant screeched at us barbarically again, we heard a blast right on the other side of the stone we sat behind and then felt small pieces of rubble roll onto us. Tup said to me, "You've got more knowledge on these psychotic... things than any of us right now, commander."