𝚂𝟺𝙴𝟷𝟹: 𝙿𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚋𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚆𝚊𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚘𝚛𝚢

Start from the beginning

Since he's the resident non-dyslexic in the study group, Frank reads some highlights from the article out loud. "For the spring semester, Dean D has decided it best to not host the annual paintball assassin's competition with the reasoning that the cleanup requires significant effort from our janitorial staff and additional funding to pay them for overtime. This announcement comes suspiciously timed with the announcement of the accepted student open house that will be held at the end of the week."

"What's that?" Percy asks.

Annabeth raises an eyebrow. "Seriously? You didn't go to any of those in high school?"

"Wise Girl, it's a miracle I'm here at all, let alone that I'm graduating soon."

"Okay, point taken. Basically, it's an event for high school seniors that have been accepted here. You're supposed to go and get to know the school and get all your questions answered, and New Rome is supposed to get as many kids as possible to commit."

"Oh! Yeah, I never got invited to any of those."

"Ours was canceled because of COVID, Seaweed Brain."

Jason scratches the back of his neck. "I'm supposed to help out with that because I'm an ambassador, but I'm looking for some excuses to get out of it if anyone wants to have an emergency family picnic."

Piper rolls her eyes. "Keep reading, Frank."

So Frank keeps reading. "In our last interview, Mr. Brunner expressed disappointment in the cancellation of this year's paintball assassins game and suggested that the students shouldn't be restrained from paintball, should they want to participate. He would like us to put it on the record that he and the Campus Activities Office in no way are insinuating support for the underground paintball assassins game happening here on campus."

"Damn," says Leo.

"Here's what you need to know about the underground game of paintball assassins," Frank reads. "The game host is unknown, as are many of the players. The Mars Coed Fraternity has been recruited as a security force and is taking players into custody. Anyone who is caught playing paintball may face a heavy fine."

"That's right!" Dean D says, strutting into the room in cop-themed drag. Nothing fazes Frank anymore. He'd rather not think about what the dean might wear to the accepted student open house though.

"Francis," he says to Frank. Oh god, the dean is about to ask him for something. If he's learned anything at New Rome Community College, it's to never cross the dean. Ever.

"Yes, Dean?"

"We're looking for someone to give a little speech at our admitted student open house, and your name came up." Clearly, Frank's name did not come up because the deans still does not know his name.

He continues, "It's just a few minutes. Tell them why you love it here so much and what kinds of classes you're taking. There'll be a lot of kids looking to major in early education, so it's important we have someone representing them."

Oddly enough, it's kind of an honor. Out of all the people in his major, they want him to represent the education department.

How can he say no to that?

"One more thing," says Dean D. "You will need to discourage others from playing in this underground paintball assassins game. This includes the other ambassadors. I can't fathom what kind of impression this would make on our future students."

Frank looks to his friends for an answer. They love paintball. Hell, he kind of likes it too.

But this speech is a big freakin' deal. His grandma would have been so proud of him.