Chapter 15

2 months later

                    2 months later.

"Since the princess isn't here again, we are forced to think she won't be able to take the responsibility of the kingdom."

"She lost her child, minister Sambhav." The king's tired voice showed how even he doesn't have any hope for the princess to return.

"Yes. A tragedy. But the kingdom cannot wait, your majesty. The Princess has been mourning for the last two months. It's only another two months until the voting. She needs to be present here if she actually wants to rule. But she isn't. She has been ignoring her responsibilities, being locked up and crying in her room."

"Do you have kids, Minister?" Even though the Princess wasn't there, the prince was. And he would rather cut off his ears than listen to people talk shit about his mourning wife.

"Yes, your highness. I have two."

"Hmm. And what would you do if they, God forbid were no longer alive?" The Minister looked appalled. What kind of question was that? They were his children. He cannot even imagine something happening to them. Kabir took the silence, exactly for what it was. Hypocrisy. These idiots think it is okay to point fingers at others while if the same thing falls on them, they'll act like the world is cracked open.

"None of you can imagine the pain of losing a child. Because you either never had them or you have them all. So I suggest you refrain from commenting on matters that you don't have the knowledge of." The ministers got out of their shocks but they weren't ready to back down.

"You lost the child as well, your highness. You're not locked in a room."

The audacity.

"I wasn't the one who was carrying the child. Our daughter was a part of the princess. She is the mother. She went through so much to bring her into this world and now she isn't even allowed to mourn her loss?" No one said anything. They can't. Mahendra Shrivastava's death has shaken the ministers. He was the man who did all the work for them. And even though they are not sure, they think the prince was behind his death. But none of them brought their doubts to life. They have always considered the prince harmless. The man who only likes his work and enjoys a game of chess. They did not take in consideration the mind games he plays. And now they're scared to be found dead in their own house, there bodies burnt beyond recognition if they all but look at the prince in the wrong way.

Kabir knew he had to do something. This was just an emergency meeting. The cabinet meeting will be organized a week later. He has one week to convince his wife to come out of her shell. She doesn't even talk to him anymore, or anyone for that matter but he needs to do something.

                             □▪︎□▪︎□

The room was dark. The thick curtains prevented the sunlight from entering the room. With her daughter gone, she has no place for light in her life. Aarohi sat on the couch. Her feet propped up on the table. Her sonogram in her hands. She didn't cry. She just looked at it.

In the dark room all she saw was that little picture. The door to her room opened and she looked up. Her prince was there. The brown of his eyes clashed with the Grey of hers. Emotions, so many of them. Pain, patience, agony, desperation. Love. All of it, bundled inside of them, begging to fall out.

 All of it, bundled inside of them, begging to fall out

I walk further into the room. The darkness swallowing every step I take. I reach her and kneel on the floor. Right beside her knee. "You have to go to the cabinet meeting next week." She turns away. That is her no.

The purple smudges under her eyes give away her exhaustion. Her cheeks have hollowed due to lack of eating. She looks weak and fragile. Like she won't even be able to stand. This wasn't the woman I married. She was stubborn and impulsive and kind, who always thought of her people. The woman I married was so strong willed that anyone looked weak infront of her.

"I lost my daughter princess. But you left me too. This isn't you. You're supposed to go out and fight those people. Tell them what you really are Capable of. Come back princess. Just comeback to me." Tears fill her eyes and her eyes fall on the sonogram.

"I can't forget. It's because of them that I lost my daughter. I don't want to stand there and look at their faces."

"Nobody expects you to forget princess. She was our daughter. We can never forget her. What I ask of you is to move on. You don't need to forget for that. I wouldn't rush you but the election is in two months. I don't even want to imagine what would happen if Nirmal Singh becomes king."

She scrunched her face at that. Adorable. But this means she understands.

"We lost our child princess, but think of how many people will lose their loved ones if that man is on the throne. He is a taker. He will take away everything the people need or care for if it means, he gets to fill his pocket or stroke his own bloody ego. The people need a ruler who empathizes with them, who is kind, who takes care of them. They are your people princess. They've mourned the loss of our child just like we have. They need hope now. And you're their hope. Don't turn away from them. Please don't."

"I don't know, how to go back to the person I was. She isn't there anymore."

"Ofcourse she is. But you don't have to go back. Use your anger and frustration to crush your enemy. It will help you." She shakes her head.

"And see someone came to meet you today." I turn my head to see the little girl entering. She told me she met the princess on the day of her accident.

My wife's eyes widen. So she remembers. The girl walks closer and stands on the other side of her leg. "Rajkumari, aap bohut sad ho. Baaki sab bhi bohut sad hai. Ab kuch acha nahi hota. Sab pareshan rehte hai. Aap kuch karo na please. Aapki baat sab manenge."

(You're very sad princess. Everyone else is too. Nothing seems good anymore. Everyone seems worried all the time. Please do something. Everyone  will listen to you.)

The realization dawned on her face. My wife smiled. For the first time in months. She assures the child she will do her best. The kid thanks her and runs away. Probably to her father, who was waiting outside.

"How could I be this selfish, my prince? I've neglected everyone for my own reasons. I was responsible for them and I failed."

"It's not your fault princess. You were going through something painful. But now you know. It's not too late. Show those monsters the actual woman who can ruin them all. Show up to that meeting. I'll make sure you win that election. I promised your father that you will sit on that throne. And I'll make that happen."

She agrees. This time it's us, against them all.

                             □▪︎□▪︎□

The chapters might be a little short from here but the story will move forward the same way.

Double update today. Enjoy.

5 more chapters to go.

What did you guys think? Comment and let me know.