Chapter Seventeen: The Legend Of The Impact

While the rest of the party moved on ahead at an urgent pace, Ansel Narth peered back over his shoulder. The hot orange sun, sitting high in the sky, beamed down on them - slowly evaporating all the dew from the rain. It wasn't raining anymore, but there wasn't a moment for celebration. Time was of the essence. The horn that alerted them to the presence of the Crimson Guards had sounded off two hours earlier. They moved through the dense mushroom forest at a brisk pace but the men were starting to tire. He looked westward toward New Dawn. How much farther? He still hadn't seen any guards emerge from the giant mushrooms behind them but he knew it was only a matter of time. No horns had gone off since the first one, but that only made him more restless and wary.

"Why do you think the Crimson Guards alerted us they were nearby?" asked Reed. Ansel noticed Reed was trying to be more kind lately but he didn't know why. The gap-toothed man had been cold to him since meeting him. What had changed? Ansel found him annoying for many different reasons. Mostly because he made obvious observations and acted like he was a genius for noticing.

Before he could answer, Zeer interjected. Ansel hadn't noticed him walk up. The man was light on his feet.

"They want us to run - to tire ourselves out. They know we're exhausted, and they hope to make us panic. As long as we move quickly and follow the Aslians' lead, I think we'll be okay." He could tell Zeer was worried regardless of his reassurances. He watched the man checking behind them just as frequently as himself. Not that he blamed him.

"How far are we from New Dawn?" asked Ansel, looking behind them again. He adjusted his Shroomveil for the hundredth time.

"Feldund says we're still about a league away," Zeer explained. "Just keep close and move quickly, we need to get to New Dawn for supplies before we can move on. Feldund doesn't seem worried they're going to catch us but I don't exactly share his positive attitude. Just keep up." Zeer strode toward the front of the party. The pink mist swirled around him as he walked away.

"I want to be one of the men to go into New Dawn," Reed said, pulling the packhorse he was leading along. "What I would give to get some real food and clothes." He stared off for a moment in a daydream. "It sucks you can't go in Ansel. You kind of stand out with those Foundling tattoos and that white hair." He smiled smugly as if he had said something smart.

Ansel moved aside a purple cane-shaped plant to clear his path. "It's fine. I'd rather stay out of anywhere that they'll recognize me. I'm going to head up to the front and talk with Zeer, make sure to call out if you see anyone in the forest behind us. We can't be caught by surprise."

After the man nodded in understanding, Ansel moved toward the front of the party. Over the past couple of days, he observed the pink fog wasn't always the same consistency. Sometimes it would grow thick enough so that you couldn't see half a span in front of you, while other times it was barely there. Today was one of the days when it was in the middle. Hopefully, that helps us. We won't be able to see the Crimson Guards until they're close but they won't be able to see us clearly either. By the Divines, I hope we can do this. He focused on his breathing instead of worrying. Kazmere used to tell him worrying did nothing. All you can do is focus on the present and make the best of it.

As he walked up through the men from Building 49, they all looked at him with a mixture of expressions. Some nodded at him in respect, while others narrowed their eyes before looking away - ignoring him. After months of being treated this way, he was numb to those looks now. It did make him miss the respect he used to get as a Foundling though.

He approached the front of the party. The pink mist allowed him to see far enough to watch the Aslians on their white elk. The two drow and the sylvirian, their mysterious saviors. He still didn't have a read on them and what their intentions were, but he was thankful for their kindness so far. They had supplied the men with broth and rough bedding to sleep on. It was more than anyone had given him in months. I should give them a chance. They've been kinder to me than most humans lately.