Chapter Twelve: An Unexpected Visitor

Kazmere Vale sagged against the tunnel wall, his body heavy. He grinned from ear to ear despite his exhaustion. For four months, he thought that all of his comrades were dead. He'd shoved down hope for so long, it was hard to believe Sera stood in front of him. A small weight lifted off his soul.

Sera ran over to him, the torch bobbing up and down in the dark. Torchlight illuminated her face, allowing Kazmere to see her fully. He'd seen her face many times while he lay awake - cold and restless within the Skyprison. Memories of their past intimate moments had been the only way he remembered being happy and carefree.

He loved her dark blue eyes; an endless sea to get lost in. She wore her fair hair up in a ponytail, just like she always did during a mission. Her tan Revenian skin was sweaty and glistened in the torchlight. She wore that worried expression he'd seen on her face many times before. The look made him want to kiss her but he couldn't, they weren't lovers anymore. Not for many years.

She smiled and put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm so happy to see you alive Kaz. Let's get you inside. You smell worse than you look somehow." She wrapped his arm around her shoulders and lifted him up. He groaned from the effort but held on tight. Her scent drifted up to his nose and he smiled. He hadn't smelled a woman's scent in months.

Sera carried him further into the tunnel, the torch illuminating the way. They came to a familiar iron door, left open.

"I can't believe you're alive. How did you–"

She chuckled, interrupting him. "Just wait a moment Kaz. I'll explain everything." Her face sweated from the effort of dragging him along. "You smell like shit and I can't talk to you when you look this way. You can barely hold yourself up. Just a while longer and we can swap escape stories." She gave that beautiful smile.

He grumbled under his breath, "Alright alright." Truth be told, he needed a moment to rest after everything. The prospect of other Foundlings being alive made all of his pain feel worth it.

They hobbled into the main common room of his hideout. He exhaled with relief, happiness bubbling up inside him. A fire crackled in the ornate fireplace. His favorite red cloth armchair was set in front. The gold and crimson star tapestry that belonged to his father hung on the wall. The sigil for House Vale, even though that house didn't exist anymore. The intricately patterned rug from his childhood home was underneath their feet, spread out across the room. He studied the rug and noticed the familiar burn holes from the fire years ago. He shoved that memory down deep into the dark recesses of his mind. Now wasn't the time for that.

Everything was just as he left it. Besides the cups and plates lying around, and a makeshift bed set up close to the fireplace. She's been set up here for a while it seems. The warmth of the fire made him feel cozy. His eyelids lowered bit by bit while he stood there.

Sera chuckled and shook him awake. "No dozing off Kaz, not yet." She led him to the wooden door on the left side of the room. She opened the door and set him on the ground beside the clawfoot tub.

"I'll be right back. I was getting the water warm for my own bath, but I guess I can let you use it instead." She winked at him and ruffled his hair, then looked at her hand in disgust and shook it. Something brown and smelly flew off. He chuckled while she left the room.

A brief time later, Kazmere found himself naked, lying in warm water, drifting in and out of consciousness. The Skyprison had made him forget what it felt like to be warm and content. He smiled lazily and relaxed for the first time in a long while.

He noticed out of a half-closed eye that Sera sat across the room on a stool. Her arms crossed and she studied him with an unreadable look on her face. I wonder what she's thinking? He closed his eyes, soaking in the moment.