Chapter 5

Katherine did as her father requested and woke up her sisters, reminding them they needed to look in on their mother. She felt like Cinderella in the process, and it made her smile. Her sisters were all close in age. They were all petite, blond-haired, blue-eyed princesses, and not for the first time, Katherine wondered where she got her looks from.

Jessie was twenty-three, fresh out of college. Jillian was twenty-one and had just reached drinking age, and Jackie was nineteen and had just completed her freshman year at college. They were young and tan and thought they ruled the world with Daddy's money.

After waking the young girls and having pillows chucked at her head and a few choice words hurled at her, Katherine made her way to the rose bushes that lined the glass windows of the enclosed heated pool and solarium. It was almost time for lunch, and she needed to make sure that Abby didn't need her help, but first, she would cut some roses and take them to her mother.

She was halfway through cutting the roses while enjoying the warm room despite the chill outside and had moved around to the back of the bushes when she heard her sisters arrive in solarium.

"They're both so handsome! This is going to be fun!" Jillian said in a hushed tone, and it made Katherine smile. Katherine had been too shy to be boy-crazy. At least, she had been until she had met Alistair.

"I want the tall blond one. What was his name?" Jessie asked as she threw herself down on a lounger. She was wearing a daring bikini that was a bright pink and showed her young body off to its best advantage.

"Simon, I think," Jackie said as she settled down next to her sister. She was in a more conservative one-piece.

"I want the tall and dark one with the baby blue eyes," Jillian whispered in a rush as she looked over her shoulder. Then she smiled at someone Katherine couldn't see before she walked over to the pool and dramatically dropped her wrap, revealing a white two-piece.

Katherine would never have the guts to put on such a display as that.

Yes, she was used to modeling clothes, but it was always about the clothes, not about the body in them. With all three girls, it was about the body.

"Won't you join us?" Jillian asked, her voice dropping a few octaves as she tried to become a seductress.

"No, thank you, I'm enjoying the view for now," a man with a southern drawl responded.

Katherine waited for her sisters to offer the guest a drink or something to snack on, and when after a few minutes of stilted silence, it didn't happen. She felt obliged to take over, no matter what her father said.

Taking her courage in hand as she looked at her frayed jeans and old t-shirt, she stepped out from behind the bush with a pleasant smile, but her smile faded as she saw a familiar pair of blue eyes look over at her.

Tall, dark, and handsome definitely described Alistair Stevens.

Katherine took in Alistair's appearance as he took in hers. He looked relaxed in a pair of slacks and a dress shirt with the top button undone and the sleeves rolled up, but he was missing his usual smile. He looked serious and didn't look as if he was surprised to see her either.

He always had a smile for her, but not this time. He was acting the same way he did when his family was around, indifferent.

"Hello!" the tall, handsome blond man greeted. "Who are you, the gardener?"

Katherine smiled and opened her mouth to introduce herself, but a laughing Jillian cut her off before she could.

"That's our big sister, Katie," she introduced. "Katie, this is Simon Black and Alistair Stevens. They're here as father's guests."