Chapter 26 (The End)

It had been almost two months since the accident. The Stevens family had rallied around Katherine and Alistair, ensuring they had all they needed to recover. The ghost hunt had gone on despite the accident because the family wanted it finished.

Mason had taken over Katherine's hosting duties for the show and turned the entire thing into a farce by saying, 'Did you hear that?', 'Who touched me?' and 'Is this a cold spot?' for every other take. There was even one point where he accused the non-existent ghost of passing gas which then turned into a maybe the ghost did it, perhaps the ghost didn't.

Katherine knew it would be a hit when it finally hit the small screen. No one would care about the house and whether it was haunted. All they would do was see it as a light-hearted episode led by Mason Stevens. There was already talk of inviting him back for the next season if he was interested.

Katherine was almost back to her usual self, she was still careful about doing too much, but she was pleased to be alive and in one piece. Alistair had indeed only received a bump to the head, so his recovery had been much quicker than Katherine's.

One thing she had learned was that he did love Christmas. It was indeed his favorite time of year. Every year the Stevens family picked a different destination for Christmas, and this year, because of Katherine's injuries, they had made the destination London. Not only had the family included Katherine, but they had included her sisters as well.

After the holiday, her sisters returned to New York and stayed at the apartment there. Katherine knew that when she and Alistair returned to New York, they would find a place where they could live. They were still only engaged. They had wanted to be married, but Katherine's injuries were worse than they had thought, and she didn't want to get married from a hospital bed.

Katherine's London apartment was modest but pleasant, and now she bustled around its comfy warmth as she put the final preparations on the meal she still owed Alistair. He had won it fair and square, and it was well past the time that she should have delivered.

It was a simple meal of steak, French fries, salad, and milkshakes. She had taken time with her appearance and was wearing a simple blue dress with her hair pulled back in a high ponytail. Her leg and foot still weren't one hundred percent healed, and she was in a boot, so fancy shoes were out for the time being.

She was lighting the last candle when there was a knock on the door, and she took one last look around before she moved to open it. Only when she opened it, it wasn't Alistair. It was George.

He didn't greet her as he pushed past her into the apartment, looking for something or someone. "Where are they?"

"Who?' Katherine asked, knowing very well he wanted to know where her sisters were.

"Your sisters!"

"They aren't here." Katherine shook her head, watching as he walked through all the rooms, turning on all the lights as he went. "Don't forget to look under the bed!" she called. She was no longer afraid of him or cared what he thought. The Stevens family had taught her about a real family, and he had never been her real family, so what he thought didn't matter.

"But you know where they are, don't you!" He charged her and got right up in her face, but Katherine stood her ground.

"If I do, I'm not about to tell you." She shrugged. "But while you're here, I do have a question. You don't happen to know who my real father is, do you?" It was worth a shot, not that she expected him to answer.

George looked around him, taking in her appearance and the candles on the table. "Are you expecting company?"

"Yes, my fiancé is coming for dinner."