Chapter 16

The girls had been living with Katherine for three months, and so far, it had worked well. They were each developing interests of their own, and none of them were lying about the apartment and getting in the way while doing nothing, which Katherine had feared would happen when they moved into with her.

Katherine had concluded that they had wanted to be adults for a while, but their father had kept them under his thumb the same as he had with Katherine ten years before.

Now, they were in London because Katherine was about to start filming for the television show she hosted, and she would be traveling around Britain for at least four months as she shot the series. When she had suggested that the girls come and stay with her in London, they had been eager to join her.

They had also been eager to join her at the black-tie event that they were currently attending. Katherine had told them no at first, but when Laura told her that she was to be part of the "rent a famous date for the evening" portion of the program, Katherine had changed her mind and insisted that they attend with her for moral support.

Laura had agreed to have Katherine attend and participate in the fundraiser during her contract renewal with the production company, which left Katherine where she was now, all decked out in her cream ball gown with her hair in an up-do that had taken the hairstylist two hours to accomplish waiting for the bidding to begin. All anyone in her social circle had talked about for the last week was this event, and by the looks of the crowd, it was the place to see and be seen.

"Katherine," Grace said from behind Katherine, where she sat at the round table with her sisters and a few other guests.

"Grace," she said as she stood and placed her cheek against Grace's in the familiar greeting as her eyes darted around the room. If Grace was attending, then Bryce would be as well, and there was also a high probability that Alistair would be attending too.

Katherine felt her heart stop and then start beating erratically at the thought. Despite his accusations months earlier, she still missed Alistair, and she still wanted him. However, she knew he didn't want anything to do with her, so a meeting of any kind would be awkward because he would see her need.

Katherine had just finished introducing Grace to her sisters when Bryce joined them, handing Grace a drink as he greeted all four girls with his usual vague expression as his eyes scanned the room.

"I saw that you were on the auction list. Your date looks intriguing." Grace said as she opened the brochure to reread it. It says an "All American Girl home-cooked meal." That sounds nice. Although I don't know what cooking has to do with the American Girl part."

"I haven't quite figured it out either. Perhaps it has to do with the food that is cooked?" Katherine thought aloud. She hadn't had a say in the description, so she hoped that whoever, if anyone did, bid on her package was forgiving. The entire thing was out of her comfort zone. She was scared to death that no one would bid at all.

"Are you a good cook?" Grace asked with a smile.

"No! I can only cook a few things, and none are particularly American." Katherine could hear the panic in her voice and took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down.

"It's for a good cause, and you're brave to do this," Grace said, placing her hand on Katherine's arm. "I'll tell you what. Bryce and I promise to place a bid on your package if no one else does. How's that?" 

Katherine could only smile her thanks and nod.

"Did you hear that, Bryce?" Grace said over her shoulder.

"Yes," was his droll reply.

A call went out for all those who were part of the auction to please meet behind the stage at the far end of the ballroom.

"Good luck, dear!" Grace said as she and Bryce moved to take their seats.

"You're going to do well. I can feel it!" Jackie said with a grin.

"But if not, we'll get something nice and fattening for dessert afterward." Jillian grinned as well.

Katherine turned and moved toward the stage and looked at all the familiar faces about to join her in this humiliating experience. There were a few news anchors, an actor or two, an artist, and an author, to name a few.

She was about midway down the bidding list, which was a decent place to be. She didn't want to go first because who does, and she didn't want to go at the end in case everyone had already spent their money, and she was the only alternative.

At least she would have one bid, thanks to Grace and Bryce, and that was something.

She watched as each person seemed to be happy with the result of their bid, and as the audience warmed up, it turned into a heated competition. When it was Katherine's turn she connected with her professional persona, which allowed her to joke with the Master of Ceremonies, smile for the crowd, and preen as the bids flew. The numbers were inching up when an outrageous amount was shouted from the back of the room. Katherine could barely hear the bidder and was amazed that the Master of Ceremonies had.

The gavel came down on an astonishing amount.

"An All-American Girl home-cooked meal goes to the young Earl of Pennington. Congratulations, sir!" The Master of Ceremonies said with a smile.

Katherine waved to the crowd with a smile even though her heart was pounding at the fact that Alistair had just bid on and won a date with her.

Why would he do that after what had happened the last time he had seen her?

Katherine made her way back to her table, where her sisters fell on her with congratulations.

"Oh my God, you had an earl bid on your date!" Jackie said excitedly. "Maybe you two will fall madly in love and get married!"

"Maybe we will at that," Alistair said as he sat in an empty chair next to Katherine.

Katherine smiled tightly at Alistair. "Congratulations, your grace."

"Your grace?" Jillian asked.

"Yes, Alistair is the young Earl Pennington. His father, Bryce Stevens, is still the current earl." Katherine explained.

"Our lawyer is an earl!" Jillian's eyes grew wide at the thought.

Jessie was looking from one to the other as she finally made the determination that something was going on between Katherine and Alistair.

"Do you have a moment to settle a time and place for our All-American experience?" Alistair asked, ignoring her sisters' stares.

Katherine hadn't met his eyes, and she nodded without looking at him as he waited for her to join him.

"I'll be back shortly," she told her sisters before she followed Alistair's straight back out of the hotel's ballroom.

It felt like she was being led to the firing squad. He had made his feelings toward her very clear the last time they had met, so why was he doing this now?

She was about to find out one way or another because she would not be honoring the bid unless he told her.