4

The traffic is decent so I am at the studio on time, if not even a few minutes early. Over the past year, I have got a few requests for collaborations with artists and I would love to make them all happen but that is pretty much impossible. However, I can fit two collabs into the new record. Today I'm recording a song we finished writing about three months ago. It didn't take long for the lyrics to come together and the music wasn't hard to figure out as well, so we had the whole song ready to record within less than one and a half weeks.

I love working with artists that are pretty new to the industry, we can both learn from each other and expand and combine our knowledge. I've known from his Twitter Q&A that Lil Nas X wanted to collaborate with me on MONTERO but unfortunately, he never finished writing it and never sent it to me. Long story short, once I'd started working on this record, I thought why not reach out to him, he's a remarkable artist and I liked the idea of working with him. We started writing together and within a week the song was almost perfect, only a few details had to be fixed with the instruments and beat and we were completely finished with composing within one and a half weeks, only recording was left, and that's why I am in the studio today.

When I get to the studio, only Mark is there. He has already set everything up and is eating a sandwich while he works on something on his laptop. "Morning." He greets me as he stands up to hug me. "Good morning." I greet back. "Thank you for setting up," I tell him and he hums in response, swallowing the last bite of his sandwich. "No problem, really." He replies once he has swallowed. "Anything from Tero?" I ask him and he nods, "Said he'd be here in... fifteen." Marks replies, checking the time on his phone. (btw Motero is Lil Nas X's real name if you didn't know and I made up the nickname Tero)

Fifteen minutes later, on the dot, Tero comes into the studio. "Tero! Great to see you!" I greet him as he walks through the door and I hug him. "Right back at you, Mother Monster." He greets back. Lemme tell you this man is tall, like in general, without heels, he's around Y/n's height but today he's wearing heels and I feel like I am standing next to a literal giant.

"You've grown a few inches since we last saw each other, haven't you?" I joke and he and Mark laugh.

We've got a lot of synths in the song and only used an electric guitar and some drums on this song and Mark already got them into the system and we can start recording some minutes later. Well, warm-ups first, of course.

Once we're done with the warm-ups, Mark starts playing the music and Tero starts singing.

"Hold her hand through the black light. Baby, it's a forest land on trick slides."I've always been impressed by his voice, it's kinda raw, almost like an uncut diamond, I noticed that right away when we started working together. It's kind of low and our voices make a great contrast.

"Honey, just take your time. Close her eyes." He continues. "I'm scared." I whispered into the mic as he continues, "she whispered as she wants to hide into a back room where she paints on a smile, she hears a sound."

"It could have been love, it could have been anybody, anybody, uh-oh." The chorus starts and we sing together, honestly, the mix of our voices gives me chills. "She waited for love, but there wasn't anybody around so we left town with the rock show."

Second verse incoming, my cue. "Keep it cool at the freak show. Baby, it's a happy place." I start singing. The beat feels great and it kinda has my older vibe, mixed with my new vibe and his vibe and it all just sounds amazing together. "If you lose it, honey just take your time, close his eyes."

"Touch me," Tero whispers just as I did in the first verse, "He whispered as he walks to the light from the widow. There's visions of a house in the night, he hears a sound." There's an instrumental part and then we burst into the chorus again, this time a bit more energetic.

"It could have been love, it could have been anybody, anybody, uh-oh. She waited for love, but there wasn't anybody around so she left town with the rock show." I really love this chorus, not too long but still catchy, you know what I mean?

Okay, bridge incoming, let's go. "Hold her, tell her you need her." Tero sings, "Please undress her slowly, uh-oh." I decide to add in something in for the very small instrumental after the lines, "Oh oh oh"

"Never hold the girl too tightly." I sing the next line and Tero mimics my move from the line before, adding in "Ooh ooh."

"She can't breathe when you speak." I finish before the chorus starts again after a small instrumental.

A last time we put in everything we've got for the chorus, "It could have been love, it could have been anybody, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh. We waited for love. But there wasn't anybody around, so we left town with the rock show, rock show, rock show, rock show." We take turns with the 'rock show' part until the music has completely faded.

There is silence as Mark, Tero and I share a few looks until Mark's voice is heard through the speaker. "Damn, that shit gave me chills." He said, totally serious. "It really was fucking amazing." He adds and a big smile spreads across all of our faces.

"First try was quite the success!" I comment and high-five Tero. "Okay, could you do the first verse and chorus again, Montero a bit lower on the 'Honey, just take your time' and then one bit lower than that on 'close her eyes?" Mark asks and he nods. "Stef, could you hold the 'rock show' part one and a half notes longer and then maybe add an echo kinda thing?" - "Sure thing." I reply.

We go through the song a few more times and change a few things here and there, mostly keys or how long we hold the notes. Before we go into cutting the different versions together or maybe making a version with all the stuff we have so we can sing it in one, we're gonna eat something, because by now it's three in the afternoon.

I texted Y/n that we should be done around seven, so she knows when to come pick me up. It's a bit unusual that we have been together for almost one and a half months now but only had a first date, if you don't count the food trucks and the dinners and lunches in L.A.

I mean most people go on at least two dates before getting together. Not that I'm saying we were too fast, but that's how a relationship with two women, stereotypically, of course, works, isn't it? Even though it sounds a bit cliché, at this point I'm surprised that we haven't moved in together yet, I mean we almost spend every night with each other, so moving in wouldn't be that big of a difference, right?

A/N New chapter y'all what do we think? Got the idea for the collab as I saw the pic of the two of them at the Grammys. Credits for the song go to Miss Mother Monster herself, as the song was created by her, just never released. 

Also, y'all you have no freaking idea how much research goes into this project, I'm literally spending more time on research than on writing the chapter. Quick insight: For this chapter, I spent a total of five hours writing and doing research.

See y'all next week, love y'all

- L