°twenty four°

○○○

Two Years Later

Friday evening had arrived, and Ronnie couldn’t have been any more excited. Not that she had any plans, but over the last weeks, with weddings, moves, and parties, she was looking forward to one weekend where she didn’t need to do anything. Stepping inside the house, she could smell the scent of food being cooked - actually, she could smell her favourite food being cooked.

“Hey!” Paul’s voice came from the kitchen, and he then popped his head out, with a huge smile on his face.

“Hey, baby.” Ronnie called out to him, kissing him quickly and then grabbing a drink from the fridge. “Aren’t you the domestic goddess?”

“I do make a great housewife, right?” Paul laughed. “But I did take some time to find everything to start cooking with.  Still feels weird.”

“You don’t regret moving in?” Ronnie asked, with a worrying sound in her voice.

“Of course not!” Paul defended as Ronnie went and took a taste of what he was cooking. “And with Charlie and Sue living in wedded bliss on the Rez, I didn’t want you to be lonely.” He picked up a letter from the counter and handed it to her.

“Uh, another one?” Ronnie sighed, looking down to see it was another brochure from the University of Washington. “I’ll just throw it out.”

“Why?” Paul asked her, raising an eyebrow. “Before I moved in, you were so excited to go. And now, it’s like you don’t even care.”

“You literally just moved in, and I’m settled at my job. I’d be leaving you in a couple of weeks.” Ronnie threw the brochure back down on the counter. “We’d rarely be together.”

“Ron, you’re the secretary for the sheriff’s station. That’s not what you want to do for the rest of your life.” He grabbed Ronnie’s hand and held it tight.

“It’s got all the classes I want and some really great professors.” Ronnie shook her head. “Plus, you know, as an added bonus, it’s not overly too far from here.”

“137 miles.” Paul told her.

“How’d you know that?” Ronnie asked him. “You looked it up?”

“I just hit a couple of buttons on the laptop.” He shrugged his shoulders, trying to make it not much of a big deal.

“You looked it up!” Ronnie laughed, playfully pushing him.

“I was bored. There was nothing on TV.” Paul blushed. “You should see the way your face lit up talking about it. This is meant for you.”

But-”

“No buts!” Paul argued. “Don’t worry about leaving me on my own. I’m a big boy. Anyway, you’ll come home on the weekends, you’ve got one early class on Fridays and a late class on Monday. You’ll be here four out of seven days, basically.”

“You’ve got all this planned, don’t you?” Ronnie jokingly asked.

“Of course.” Paul proudly stated. “And anyway, with Elu teething, some of the guys don’t want to hang out at Sam’s at the moment.”

“Yeah, Emily said they’ve been up every night with him. Poor thing." 

“So, who’s house is the best choice to hang out in? Ours!” Ronnie couldn’t hide her delight when Paul called the house theirs. “And when Charlie wants to watch football, he can come over here.”

“You and Charlie have gotten pretty close recently.” Ronnie laughed. “Kinda jealous.”

“Just because I’m losing the Queen to Seattle, doesn’t mean I have to lose the King, too.” Paul burst out laughing as he grabbed two plates from the cupboard.

“The criminology undergrad is four years.” She looked at him with a serious expression on her face. “Then law school is another three. Are you sure?”

“No matter how long it takes you, I’ll be here. Waiting for you. It doesn’t matter where you are, because wherever you are is home to me.” He took her two hands into his. “We’ve got a lifetime together.”

“I love you so much.” Ronnie smiled at Paul. “To the moon and to Saturn.”

“Come and dance with me.” Paul gently pulled her closer to him. “The earth is spinning. We can’t just stand on it.”