Chapter Four: New

Start from the beginning

After I cleaned my face and took a few deep breaths I joined Mads and Matty in the living room with a glass of wine. Mads was sitting in the chair to the left of the couch and Matty was sitting on the end of the couch closest to her. I was about to sit down in the other chair but was momentarily paused when Matty made a face.

"Come here TayTay, I've missed you." Matty lifted his arm that was draped over the back of the couch.

It wasn't unusual for Matty and I to curl up on the couch together. It started after mom died. We called it movie snuggles because it always happened due to sharing popcorn during the movie nights the three of us would have.

I snuggled in close to him and he pulled me in tight with an arm around my shoulders, "So Matty, tell us, are you in the city for something fun or is it the same old security stuff?"

"Both actually. Today I worked with Chris about security set up at his place and to talk to him about moving in for a little while." Matty quickly said the last part while he took a long sip of wine.

Madison gave Matty a strange look, that I didn't understand, before asking, "You're moving back into the city? I thought you liked living back with mom and dad."

"I did like living with mom and dad but I was missing something while I was there and I can only get it if I'm here. Luckily for me what I want is something Chris wants too so we are going to help each other get it." he looked back and forth between the two of us before stopping on Madison. The look they shared made it seem like there was a conversation happening they didn't want me to know about.

I tilted my head still looking at him, "What are you trying to get?"

He looked back to me with a smile that made my stomach flip, "Come on now TayTay you know what we say, there's no glory in the process. You are just going to have to wait and see. But I can promise you that once I get it, you'll know."

He got up and walked to the kitchen for more wine so I followed him, "You're really not going to tell us?"

He chuckled again, "That's not what I said. I said I'm not going to tell you. If I tell Mads then I'll have to swear her to secrecy but I don't know if she's even that good at keeping a secret."

Although I was hurt that he wouldn't tell me what he was trying to do, all I could do was laugh because she had been keeping my secret since we could actually understand what secrets were. Rather than say anything else to him, because I didn't want to get my feelings hurt, I suggested we order some Chinese food and watch a movie before bed.

So while I stepped away to make the call, Matty walked away on his phone as well. When he came back he told me that even though Chris knows me he would like me to come in tomorrow morning so they could do things by the book and just talk.

It didn't bother me that I would have to go in, I assumed I'd have to fill out an application and actually apply. In all honesty, I was shocked Chris even remembered me enough to have me just come in, I haven't seen him in at least six years. Chris, Matty, and Declan were roommates their freshman year. From what I understand they all got along so well they just continued being roommates. They were all a year older than Madison and I so I didn't meet Chris and Declan until the following year and by then they were already close friends.

On move in day my freshman year all I had was Madison and her family to help me. There was absolutely no way Greg was going to help me move into college when he didn't even want me to go in the first place. The day before we left he ordered me into the bathroom and I was so ready to be done with him that it was the first time I tried to fight back. Unfortunately the more Greg aged the stronger he got, which meant he was able to pin me to the floor. I got six for leaving him and an additional four for trying to fight him off.

That next morning I lied to Madison and told her I just slept wrong and was sore. I doubt she believed me but she didn't argue with me. We just packed up the truck her dad rented and headed to the school to meet Matty. He had moved in the day before so that he would have time to help us with whatever he needed to.

When we pulled into the parking lot at the university it was the most liberating feeling I had in a long time, possibly ever. I grabbed a box and headed up to our room while Mads went and got our keys. We walked into a shared living room that had a bedroom and bathroom on either side. Mads and I shared the bedroom on the left while two other girls shared the one on the right. I walked into our room and took a deep breath, exhaling loudly.

"You're finally free of him." Madison said from the door behind me.

I turned around to her just in time to see Matty stand behind her.

"Free from who?" He asked, making Madison jump.

"My dad," I shrugged, "you know how he could be. Always needing me for something."

I put the box on one of the beds and went out to grab more. Standing at the truck were Madison's parents and two other guys. They were both handsome. One had short black hair and olive skin. The other had brown hair that was long enough to fall on his forehead and light skinned that you could tell had been tanned from the summer sun.

"That's Declan and Chris, come on I'll introduce you." Matty said, grabbing my shoulders, "Guys, you remember Madison." he half shouted as we walked over and they all waved.

The guy with brown hair ran a hand through his lock as his eyes raked down my body quickly before meeting my eyes, "And who's this?" he asked, looking over at Matty.

"This is Taylor. Taylor, this is Declan and the guy over there," he pointed at the guy with black hair as he jumped from the truck with a box in his hands, "is Christopher."

"Hi." I said shyly.

"So this is the famous TayTay," Christopher said, making his way over to us, "Well it's..."

"Very nice to meet you." Declan smirked, again looking at me from head to toe. He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles.

I looked up at Matty just as a scowl was forming on his face. It was only there for a second before he smirked and shoved Declan's shoulder telling him to get back to work. The guys helped us move all of our stuff in and the rest is quite literally history.