Chapter 15//A Walk at Night

"Won't mom get mad?"

"We're just going on a walk."

The twins pad down the sidewalk, Rose scanning the sky for stars, and Jayce glancing back at Ben, who had been silent since they left.
The air was crisp and refreshing, a nice break from the hot afternoons that came with summer, and the kids didn't even bother bringing jackets.

After a they walk about a block, they decide to turn around and head home, but Ben catches something in the yonder darkness.
After hushing the girls, he stands in front of them protectively, scanning the deep gradients of the night with wide eyes.
The 3 kids back into the light of a street lamp, watching as a young man in a suit slinked towards them.

"Good evening." He offers a sly smile, folding his hands behind his back, showing no reaction as the Leeds girls pull out small daggers their uncle Loki had given them.
"Relax, children, I am not here to harm you. I merely want to converse."

"Sorry, we don't speak 18th century," Jayce scoffs, glancing around for anyone who would notice their predicament. The man only laughs.

"I'm far older than that, I can assure you," he squints lightly, his lips forming a thin smirk.
"Now, listen closely. Jayce and Rose Leeds."

The kids tense, Ben holding his arms in front of the girls as a blockade(not that it would do much).

"You too, Benjamin Parker. I know who you are, all of you, and for good reason. You see," he begins to slowly circle the children.
"I've tussled with your families once or twice. Many times. Victory- or Victoria, as you call her- and I, have the most history. I've been following her around since the great fall of Tony Stark back in 2023. She came to me for answers when she was as little as 17."

He snaps, the girls throwing their blades to the ground as they go up in flames. His hand snakes under Rose's chin, pulling back when the other kids grab at his arm.
"Relax, I have already stated that I mean you no harm."
His sly grin returns once again.
"Yet. When you return home, ask your mother to tell you what she can on: Siggier."

The man disappears in a wisp of smoke, leaving the kids to race down the sidewalk and back to the tower.