14. Mind Fog

A/N: Hello wonderful readers!
Sorry for being away soooo long! Slowly getting back into writing again, so there should be more posts over the next few weeks..

(Also, please don't hate me for bringing a tiny bit of Rings of Power into this.. please haha. Its just temporary..)

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Eileanór's POV

As I fiddled with a strap on my armour, I noticed silence permeate from the men in front of me. I glanced up, puzzled, and found Haldir half turned towards me with an amused expression as he watched my struggle with the strap.
Behind him, Aragorn looked as though he were ready to kick Legolas, who stood as still as one of the marble statues in Rivendell, his gaze trained on me.

I pressed my lips together, gaze flicking between each of the three men.
"I'm sorry, did I miss something?"

My voice seemed to snap Legolas from his trance and he rounded on Aragorn, who stepped back quickly as Legolas got into his face, speaking in a harsh whisper.
Gimli broke into laughter and approached me, tugging me into a tight hug around my middle, cracking a few joints in my spine.

"I knew you'd be back! I told the lad you wouldn't be done in!"
I blinked down at him.

"What are you—?"

They assumed you dead. Your little elfling left you for dead.

I blinked and swallowed, gaze travelling to Legolas, who was rubbing his temples as Aragorn spoke in hushed tones to him.

See? He left you for dead, mourned for a day, and now your return brings him weariness. He knows there will be more acceptance and denial to deal with from you. You will distract him.

Gently prying myself from Gimli's arms, I backed away, my eyes focused on the tension in Legolas' shoulders. I felt dizzy.
He wouldn't feel that way.
Would he?

Leave them. Take the distraction out of his life and come where you are more welcome.

I turned away from the group of men and slipped through the curious crowd that had gathered to observe their elven guests.

"Legolas?" Gimli's voice said uncertainly behind me, likely trying to alert him to my departure.

My head was swimming as I wove between people, my shoulders hunching as I held my head, trying to push back the thoughts that the male voice invaded me with. I needed to get away from all those people, find somewhere to breath and clear my fuzzy mind.

He doesn't even give chase.

He gave a humorless chuckle that reverberated around my mind.

Leave them. Get out before Saruman's forces invade. Get far, far away from those weak hearted fools and come to me. I will protect you.

He kept speaking. Why would he not stop talking?

Because I wish for you to be safe. Leave Helm's Deep. Come to the east.

I froze in my tracks and looked up at the gate that loomed before me.

"My lady? Are you alright?" A guard asked to my right, looking concerned as I held my head.

Tell him to open the gate.

I frowned and looked between the worried male and the gate.
A whinny drew my attention. Cethin, who I'd left at the entrance when I'd come with the elves, hip chucked the male I'd left her with, knocking him to the ground before coming to me. My left hand lifted to run along her side.