3. Elrond's Council

"She was blushing, brother. Like some village maiden; you should have seen it!"

I listened, annoyed, as my uncle told my father about what he'd seen. Father was standing behind me with his hands on my shoulders as uncle lounged on the bench across from me.
"So my little girl finally has feelings for someone does she?"

Swatting his hands away, I stood, crossing my arms and taking a few steps away from the twins. "Hardly, Ada. I just met him."

"My sweet innocent girl." father laughed. "I knew your mother was the one I'd love the moment I met her. It is as though the soul knows. I know you've met many a fair man in your time, but I've never heard of you blushing until now."

"It's nothing to be ashamed of if you do feel for him. You could do worse than the prince of Mirkwood." Uncle spoke up, a grin on his face when I turned to look at him.

"That's all well and good, but I can hardly expect him to feel a thing for me." I mumbled, shooting my uncle a glare.

"The way he touched you, I think he was feeling something too." Elladan looked thoughtful. "There was something in his gaze that tells me he is as drawn to you as you are him."

"It matters not. He will be gone soon, and I doubt I will see him again." I told them both dismissively. Father approached me again, pulling me into a hug.

"You have the choice of a long life. Mirkwood isn't so far that you cannot go to him, or see his return here."

"I have no need of such feelings though! One day he shall feel the need to sail west; then what? I do not wish to experience that parting."

Father frowned at me. "Do not assume all love results in the same way as mine and your grandfather's. My mother and your's both had their reasons to go. But do not think that Legolas or whoever you one day fall in love with will leave without you too. And even if he did, you can choose to sail with him rather than be left behind as I was. My father remains because he feels he still has things to do in Middle Earth. I remain for you, for my brother, and because I have reason to believe there are still things for me to do before I can join your mother. Let yourself feel love. Let yourself experience that happiness."

Tears had started to burned in my eyes as he spoke. His hand lifted to brush them away as they fell, before he kissed my forehead.

"It will be alright. Don't fear such feelings. Embrace them. In time, they may yet grow. But make him work for it. An elf's heart won't easily sway, but make him fight for you so that he will appreciate you all the more."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a week since the conversation with my father.
Dwarves had come to Rivendell, as well as a group of men from Gondor and a few hobbits of The Shire.

Aragorn, a ranger of the north, had come with the hobbits. I was excited to see him.
Aragorn was like a brother to me. I'd often sit curled against his side as he read books, skimming over the lines with him in the silence. His presence felt safe, and though my actions felt childish, he'd sit quietly as I'd lean against him, putting an arm around my shoulders to allow me more comfort.

On this visit, as we sat with only the light of the moon illuminating the pages in front of us, another man entered the room we were in.

Boromir, the son of the Steward of Gondor. Grandfather had told me about all our visitors, giving me small bits of information about each. As I watched this man curiously, I was thankful for the knowledge.
He walked quietly through the room, looking at historical art pieces on the walls. Aragorn's grey eyes bore into his back, watching his movements. I extracted myself from the ranger's side and stepped silently into the shadows of a column when I noticed the tension in his form.