2. Short Walk with a Prince

"Eileanór, are you ready?"

Glancing up from a notebook filled with musical notes and lyrics, I found my grandfather standing in the doorway of my bedroom. He had a soft smile on his face as I stood, pulling a sheet from my book before setting the rest of it down on my bedside table.

"As ready as I can be, Adadar."

"You look beautiful."

Glancing at the mirror that stood across from my bed I checked his observation, ensuring that I was adequately dressed for the performance he'd volunteered me for; my blue dress complimented my pale skin and dark hair. I took a moment to admire the designs of my sleeves before looking to the elf lord again.
"Thank you. I was concerned that perhaps it was too dark a colour..?"

Shaking his head, he moved closer to me, taking my hands in his and giving them a squeeze. "It is perfect. Come, they are waiting."
He held out his arm for me, and I softly placed my palm on his wrist, letting him guide me out of my room and towards the banquet platform.

When we arrived, I saw that his guests from Mirkwood were all present, talking quietly among themselves in various shades of green. One stood out from the others, wearing a sand coloured cloak rather than matching those around him. His hair was a beautiful shade of blonde, shining almost silver. He was sitting near the head of the table, close to where my grandfather and I would sit during the meal.

Breaking my gaze away from the group, I followed grandfather towards the musicians, who all noticed me and looked expectant as I grew closer. Giving the trio a nod, their Lord stepped away from me, going to sit.
"Here.." I said softly, holding out the sheet from my notebook, showing the notes to the song I'd be singing to a brown haired elf, Larie. She took the sheet and scanned over it as the two others with her peeked over her shoulders.

"Ah.. this is one of your favourites isn't it? I'm glad we're at least playing a song we know!" She said excitedly. She set the paper on the ground between them and sat up straight, readying her flute.

I turned away from them and found the table had gone quiet, all eyes in our direction. I gave a soft motion of my hand at my side to indicate to my accompaniment that I was ready, and began singing.

I kept my gaze level over the heads around the table during the first verse, focusing on a column at the far side of the platform.

A soft breeze lifted around me as I began the chorus and moved to weave it's way through the guests, dancing with my voice. Letting my eyes flicker over the gathered elves, I noticed various expressions of calm and surprise. The male in the lighter cloak had his sharp blue eyes trained on me, staring at me with an intensity that made heat rise on the back of my neck.