Chapter 36 - Mother's Day

Serena

Do you ever feel like everything is going to bite you in the ass? Well that's how I feel right now. K.C's parents know, or rather; everybody knows. I hate that people keep staring at my stomach. Even my teachers are looking weirdly at me. It's been two weeks since I told K.C and I just don't know how to tell him that I am not pregnant. I should've never opened my mouth. He has complicated it all by telling his parents. I saw his mother the other day. She wasn't too happy to see me. She just walked away without saying hi or anything. It's crazy how things can change, she used to love me once, she was always smiling and polite to me.

Then there's Neal the asshole. He showed my dad the assignment I wrote to him. It was meant as a joke, but he has actually failed me in english. My dad has taken my phone and we had a long talk about my behavior. He always end up saying, 'Serena honey, it's for your own best. I only do this because I care about you.' I hate when he says that. I try to act indifferent, but it gets to me all the time. That's what my mother always said to me. And talking about my mother, the worst second worst day of the year is tomorrow. After she died, I have renamed the day: Stay-in-all-day-turn-laptop-and-cellphone-off-and-cry-your-eyes-out. and yes I am talking about Mother's day. I hate this day so much. I hate seeing the commercials of what to buy for your mother. I start imagining what I would have bought for her, if she was still alive. I would have taken her out to a really nice cafè I know, we would sit there and talk, then get foot massage and get our nails done. Girly stuff. Then we could watch a very girly movie together while eating lots of ice cream and snacks. Everything would have been perfect. I would probably still be with K.C, still friends with Omar and my dad would actually be proud of me.

"Are you crying?"

"What? No!" I say and wipe away the evidence.

"You're crying, is it because I showed your dad the assignment and he took your phone?"

"Neal, fuck off. What are you even doing in my room? And haven't you learned to knock?" I say annoyed.

"I have, like I am sure you have learned to write, but you don't take advantage of that. Your dad is going to tell us something important, he wants everyone downstairs. And now." He says and walks away again. It's funny how Neal is suddenly a part of the family, he's always here. I know that's what David is paying him for and won't let him leave, but it has become so natural to have him around. I thought I could use that for my advantage that he lives here and is my teacher, but I can't. Mr. West might have given me bad grades, but he never failed me.

I walk down to find everyone sitting around the table. Angelina is serving ice cream for everyone. I know Tori and K.C are not together anymore. They don't talk at school, they barely look at each other. I'm not even happy about it. Actually I don't care at all. I don't feel anything about that jerk anymore. When I finally decide to tell him that I am not pregnant then I will stay away from him for good. They can do whatever they want. I just want to move on. I know, I will find someone better than him. I didn't even mean for them to break up when I said I was pregnant, I didn't really think about what the consequences would be. I was just caught up in my own anger and wanted to hurt him. Which I think I did, but I don't want to now. This isn't just about me and him anymore.

"Okay, the reason why I have called you all down here is because Angelina and I have something very important to tell you." My dad says and looks around expectantly. We all look at them waiting for him to continue. I don't know why, but my heart is pounding very hard right now. I don't like where this is going, and I fear that he is going to say the M word.