Chapter 23

Groggy eyes opened slightly, a groan left the vocal cords of the said patient lying in the torture bed or so he thought. He hated hospitals yet he found himself there on a daily basis. Looking around the room to the window showed it was night which meant no visitors or so he hoped. Crosshair glared when his eyes landed on the sleeping Hunter beside him in a chair, Wrecker was asleep on the floor beside the door with Hera asleep on him. Movement to his right revealed Echo had shifted where he sat beside Fives. 

Carefully Crosshair reached for the chart that held all his information, with a quick read. He found his profile, ignoring all the details he already knew. He flicked to the actual problem, his eyes widened when he found; 'Rare dilated cardiomyopathy' with Pacemaker.

He almost let out a groan out-loud but some movement at the door had him look up, the said individual held their hand up in a silence gesture. Crosshair smiled as Kix walked over detaching the machines but leaving the small oxygen on for him. Crosshair would have to wear it for a while, he chose the nasal one over the actual mask. Kix gave him some joggers, Crosshair quickly put them on knowing Hunter would actually help him shower later on. Together Kix and Crosshair walked slowly down the hospital corridor. Jesse suddenly made an appearance on Crosshairs other side, the two older ones helping their 'child'. After a twenty minute slow walk they arrived at the window of the ICU for babies. Kix pointed out Crosshairs children, he smiled when he saw the twins curled up around each other. 

"I couldn't separate them so I put them in a double incubator. The two have accelerated in their health. I have faith in a week's time after you gained your own strength since you are underweight again. Obviously it can't be helped with your heart condition and your health but we will have to see about you and Hunter holding your children as long as you eat properly" Kix's voice drifted off as he touched the glass of the window while tears slipped down his face. He had done it, he had saved them. Crosshair allowed a smile like no other to settle on his face, a hand on his arm turned him towards strong arms. He soon found himself nestled in Jesse's arms, Crosshair just welcomed the warmth and support from his parents. Kix smiled watching the two, he gestured for them to head back as he double-checked his watch signalling the time. Jesse acknowledged his husband as he wrapped an arm around Crosshair and led him back to his room with Kix on his other side.

The closer they got to the room the more anxious Crosshair felt. He knew there was a chance in 7 years he might not be alive, especially having learned about his pacemaker. Kix looked at him with a sad expression, no parent should have to bury their child whether related by blood or not. Jesse and Kix certainly didn't want that. 

"Shit! Where is he?!"

"Hunter calm down he couldn't have gotten far"

"Yeah maybe he went to the toilet"

"Yeah and maybe he went to join the circus, Wrecker! He has a pacemaker! For god's sake!" 

Crosshair smiled hearing his overworked husband's worried voice mix match with Echo's and Wreckers. 

"Or maybe he is standing in the doorway looking at you two buffoons and Echo while trying not to laugh"

All three heads turned to see a smiling Jesse and a smirking Crosshair while Kix wore an impassive expression. Wrecker laughed at Jesse's comment as he moved out of the way so the swat officer could get Crosshair back to his bed, the marksman thanking him. Echo's strict eyes followed Kix's movement, the doctor checking over Tech, Omega and Fives vitals. Kix remained with his back to the room as he accessed Omegas, Jesse cautiously watched as Kix's eyes flickered over Omegas body. 

The swat officer prayed it wasn't bad news from the way Kix's body language was held tight, it was becoming a concern to his husband. Jesse frowned when Kix turned around, the doctor went to say something when his medical radio went off, "Doctor Kix! Report to ICU, Code:711". Kix shook his head putting the chart down in the bed as he walked out of the room mumbling something to do with nurses. Jesse was concerned greatly especially when hospital alarms started going off.