Chapter 17

Tech woke with a gasp as he tried to sit up only to find hands forcing him down, “Easy Caleb” the soothing voice of none other than Kix reached his ears. “You definitely know how to cause people to lose their hair, be glad Echo has none,” the medic joked as he removed the tube in the engineer's throat and passed him a cup of water. Tech knew the drill he sipped it down. “How long was I out?” Tech asked looking at Kix who frowned, “4 days”. Tech gasped, he had to move, a hand on his arm stopped him, “Don’t worry, Crosshair isn’t going to kill you for using his bed” Kix smiled as he spoke. Tech glared at the medic but it softened when he saw his sleeping twin in his cancer chair. “Please tell me he hasn’t been here the whole time” Kix shook his head as he assessed his vitals, Tech let out a breath. He would kill his younger brother if he had stayed here the whole time. “No he hasn’t but the man on your other side has”. Tech frowned looking the other way to see Echo asleep across what looked like a lounger, he looked back at Kix who wore an expression almost to say ‘don’t ask. I have no clue where the lounger came from’. “Fives?” “Probs known that kid”. Sometimes it only occurred to Tech that Kix said most words like he was a lot older than them all. Kix passed a clipboard over that was full of medical words, in short Tech had pneumonia and it caused his heart to stop twice. “Who restarted it?” Tech asked almost too afraid to hear the answer, Kix sighed as he turned his body so Tech could see his actions. The doctor only did one thing, he pointed at the sleeping body of his twin. Tech groaned, he would never hear the end of it now. “Get some rest, Wrecker and Hunter should be here in about an hour, once they finish work that is” Kix said, patting his shoulder as the older man left the room for a few minutes only to reappear with some bottles of water for them all. Tech watched as Kix made himself comfortable in the chair in the corner of the room, the doctor getting a small break as well as watching over the twins. 

Two hours later…

Tech swore he could hear laughter and whispers but he was sure he had dreamed it, the distinctive voice of them all sounded like his husband but why would Echo be laughing unless it was at him? Oh god what did he do or more importantly what didn’t he do. His brain was over working which quickened his breathing up. Where was Crosshair? Was he alright?

“Tech’s awake” the monotone voice of his twin by his side broke through his jumbled thoughts as Tech’s eyes sprang open searching the room in a panic. Another hand appeared to touch his cheek when he screamed, startling the occupants of the room. “GET OFF!” Tech screamed. Echo stood in fear as the group backed up with the exception of Crosshair who remained beside his thrashing twin. “Cross?” The marksman ignored them all as he stroked his brother's hair and started to hum a familiar lullaby, Omega perked up hearing it, she knew that tune but from where. Hunter smirked, recognising it, he kneeled beside Omega and whispered, “Crosshair, used to sing the song to you as a lullaby back in the army days. He was the only one able to settle you down until he taught me something else”. Omega only nodded as the group watched, mesmerised as Tech’s hazel eyes widened when he recognised the tune. Tech reached up to feed his hand into his twins, Crosshair allowed a rare smile to fall upon his features as he gestured for Echo to come over. The man moved into Tech’s view which made the engineer smile brightly as he reached to hug Echo. 

Crosshair moved away knowing he had done his job, he moved back over to his seat where Hunter was sitting with Omega in his lap. The marksman grumbled to himself but something stopped him in his tracks, he looked towards the door to see a smiling Kix leaning against the doorframe. Crosshair walked over to him only to be wrapped up in a tight hug, “I’m proud of you Tristan” Crosshair only nodded, they hugged for a few minutes before Kix then left to go finish up his shift, he was done for the night. Hearing laughter Crosshair took a glance back to see Tech laughing with their family, taking a deep breath. Crosshair grabbed his jacket well Hunters and slipped out of the room to go for a small walk since he was restless. His mind was occupied with the events of the past week. Tomorrow was the funeral for Amber, she would be having a small private funeral. Rex had asked Crosshair to carry the coffin, the marksman agreed since Hunter said he would to. Rex had insisted Hunter would be behind Crosshair while Fives and Jesse were going to carry the other side. Although Amber was only small, Ahsoka insisted that four people she trusted carried her daughter's coffin. Crosshair smiled remembering Fives look when he was asked. It was almost like the time the arc-trooper was told to jump out of the plane with no-parachute, he was scared but told Rex and Ahsoka he would happily carry his adoptive daughter on his shoulder until she rested in her bed of angels. That brought tears to the room. They would be carrying her on their shoulders out of respect and the young angel would get a beautiful send off, Ahsoka would make sure of it.