Chapter Eighteen: Babies

Fable groans in her sleep, rolling onto her back. However, she doesn't stay there for long. Fable rolls back onto her side, hissing as another wave of pain shoots through her guts.

"Hey?" Johnny questions, reaching over to stroke Fable's cheek. Fable opens her eyes to study him, her lip quivering in pain.

"What's wrong?" Johnny asks as he sits up, reaching over her to turn on the lamp.

"I don't know. Every time I start to doze off, a wave of pain shoots through me." Fable whimpers as Johnny slides his hand over her stomach. He can feel the babies moving inside.

"Someone is excited," Johnny mutters, leaning down to kiss her belly. Much to Fable's surprise, Johnny begins singing to her belly, rubbing it as he does. Fable adjusts slightly so she can catch Johnny's hand, holding it against her belly as he sings. Before long the babies grow still and the pain fades.

"Go to sleep, gorgeous." Johnny purrs as he lays beside her belly. Tears well up in Fable's eyes as he resumes his singing, sliding his fingers between her. Fable slides her other hand into his hair, watching him lovingly as he sings them all to sleep.

~~~~

Fable's eyes flutter open as sunlight dances across her face. For a moment, she isn't sure where she is. However, when her eyes land on Johnny, her mind comes into focus.

"I don't deserve you." Fable whispers, sliding her fingers through his hair. Johnny stirs slightly but doesn't seem to wake. As carefully as she can, Fable struggles from the bed.

'Please don't wake up.' Fable thinks before grunting as she stands. Johnny groans, rolling over as he buries his face into the covers to hide from the sun. With an accomplished giggle, Fable waddles out of the room. After a quick trip to the bathroom, she sneaks into the kitchen. She is completely unaware of the smile Johnny is wearing as he lays in bed, listening just in case she needs him.

"Mary?" Fable questions as she enters the kitchen.

"Oh, good morning Mrs. Depp." Mary purrs, knowing full well how much Fable enjoys being called that.

"Good morning. Will you help me prepare breakfast for Johnny?" Fable asks as she starts pulling pans out. Mary is quick to help. Once they've got everything cooked, Mary carries the tray to the bedroom. However, once in the room, she cautiously lets Fable take it. Across the room, Johnny fights to hide his smile, desperately attempting to look like he is asleep.

"Thank you." Fable whispers before carefully entering the room. As she does, Johnny rolls over onto his back, yawning and stretching before smiling at her.

"Good morning, gorgeous. You aren't supposed to be walking on your own." Johnny chuckles as he rolls onto his side.

"Yeah, yeah. You can gripe later. Eat your breakfast." Fable giggles, handing him the tray. Johnny quickly sits up as he takes the tray.

"Ah..." Fable gasps as a wave of pain shoots through her lower belly. This is much sharper than the pain last night.

"Baby?" Johnny questions as Fable squeezes her eyes shut, rubbing her belly as she tries to breathe through the pain.

'She isn't due for two months.' Johnny thinks nervously as he stands.

"Baby, I think we should go to the hospital," Johnny says, hastily gathering an outfit for each of them.

"I'm fine..." Fable wheezes through her pain, exhaling sharply as the pain fades.

"I'm not arguing," Johnny says firmly, frantically pulling on a pair of jeans.