CHAPTER 38

Sin

Hindi maalis-alis ang gulat sa mukha ni Mariyah. It's been hours at hindi pa rin magawang rumistro sa isip niya ang mga salita na natanggap mula kay Devon.

She watched Marleon watching television. His father didn't recognize him, instead he thought anak niya sa ibang lalaki si Marleon.

She sighed. Devon's words echoed in her ears. He would never dare to make the same mistake again. Kahit siya ay hindi na uulitin pa iyon.

"Mommy!"

Bumalik s'ya sa realidad ng marinig ang boses ni Marleon. She watched him run to her. A smile automatically plastered on her lips. 

"I'm so happy today!" He climbed on her lap and hugged her. She caresses his back gently. 

"Daddy is so fun to be with. I hope we date again." 

Silang dalawa lamang sa penthouse. Peter said that he's doing something while Mariel flies back to the Philippines.

"He will make time for you, darling." 

"Yeah. He always assures that." She smiled. "Um, Mom. Your work earlier…"

Sinilip niya ito. There's a hesitation on his face. 

"Your colleague… the tall guy… um… at your back,"

Nakuha niya agad ang gusto nito iparating. She was sure that it's Devon.

"What's with him?"

"He looked hurt,"

She stopped caressing her son's back. A moment of silence passed. She was shocked that her son noticed that. She didn't even notice that!

"Maybe he was lonely. I hope the scars on his heart heals," 

She bit her lower lips. Hearing these words about his father coming from his son's lips aches her heart.

The innocent voice of Marleon being worried with random guy's feelings without even knowing that he's his father. 

She watched Marleon enter his school. This is the last day of the project. They will never cross their path again. He will go back to the Philippines while she will stay here.

The set was busy for the last day of the project. They were so attentive and excited. She entered the dressing room. She roamed her eyes around to find Devon but there's no sign of him, even his shadow.

"Have you seen Devon?" She asked the make-up artist.

"He hasn't arrived yet, Ma'am." 

She nodded and made herself comfortable in the high chair. 

Minutes passed, the dressing room opened and she took a glance in the mirror to see who it was.

Their eyes through the mirror met. She cleared his throat and looked away, trying to make herself busy. 

"Sir!" 

She can hear an excitement in the female make-up artist's voice. She rolled her eyes.

"Good afternoon," Devon replied.

"Today is the last day of production. What's your plan after this?" 

Pinakiramdaman niya itong maupo hindi malayo sa kaniya. Kahilera niya lamang at may isang metro'ng distansya sa pagitan nila.

Agad itong dinaluhan ng make-up artist at pinunasan ng wipes ang mukha nito.

"Flying back to my country," Devon laughed a little.