8. March-April 2020

Priti sat with Liz in the Prime Minister's office, exhausted and anxious as they tried to reassure her. Her plan to stay silent about the issue had come crashing down as the Labour Party filed an urgent question that was being answered by Gove in parliament as they spoke.

Boris remained selfishly loyal, but his energy had diminished significantly, and she could see through the cracks of his persona that he was tired of her and her problems. Had it not reflected badly on him, she knew she would've been out of that government months ago. As a result, Liz spoke almost frantically, trying to make up for Boris' lack of enthusiasm.

"Priti, listen." Liz gestured to the resignation letter. "All of this is just Philip's word, the lawsuit is just something he plans to do. Nothing is formal, nothing has happened yet."

"Now, Priti, I- there's going to have to be an investigation." Boris said soberingly, as she put her head in her hands. "I'm sorry, we can't avoid that. But, you've told Michael that you reject the allegations and he- he's communicating that in parliament. You needn't say anything more - we, we wait until the facts are established."

*

If it wasn't for the growing coronavirus crisis, and the commonality of misconduct in the Johnson government, the issue may not have died down as quickly as it did, averting the scandal Priti expected. Instead, it followed her like a shadow, every moment a lingering fear that something new would emerge. She tried to remind herself of the more pressing issues at hand, every one an opportunity to redeem herself.

By this point, the UK had over 1000 cases, and had seen its first deaths from the virus. The cabinet had developed plans for publicity encouraging hand washing and hygiene. But Priti was doubtful. She hated being the odd person out in the government, especially right now, but she knew the country needed to do more. If there was any opportunity to reduce civil liberties and give the police more powers, she would take it.

"A few posters can't avert a pandemic, we need stricter measures. Our cases have come from people travelling. We need to close the borders." She told the incomplete cabinet sternly. Nadine Dorries wasn't there, she had covid herself, and yet it was still being treated as something far away.

"Authoritarianism is not- absolutely not the answer! For herd immunity, everyone- everyone must get it." Boris explained.

"Yes, but not everyone can get it. Some people will be hospitalised, some people will die if they get it. And that will overwhelm the NHS." Matt said steadily, clearly struggling to get through to him. The whole cabinet was divided, their meetings carrying a tension she'd never felt before. Priti took a deep breath and tried to speak as calmly as possible.

"We have put out guidance, but it is ultimately up to people if they follow it." Boris' steadfastness was met by sighs from various ministers.

"Well, what if they choose not to? We all have personal responsibility, and that is something that we, as the government, need to take the lead on." Priti said, with finality, and she felt that her point had reached him. Liz was completely silent. She was a libertarian, and she didn't want the state growing even bigger. But in some circumstances, she wondered, maybe you had to draw the line.

The weeks ahead saw a constant battle. Boris had spent his whole life constructing the image of a liberal conservative, had spoken out against a 'nanny state' since his time as a journalist. But now, it was all crumbling before him.

In the weeks that followed, orders were issued. The pubs were closed, the restaurants, the cinemas, the gyms. Then it was the schools. There was no point pretending anymore. And finally, a national lockdown was announced on the 23rd.