7. February 2020

Priti was at the Home Office, pressing her hand on her temple as she agonised over her papers. This month, she was set to announce the new points-based immigration system, her biggest political goal. With her expertise, elitism and racism would return to the forefront of government policy.

The volume of work was greater than anything she'd experienced, but Priti thrived under pressure (or so she thought). The only problem was her department's inadequacy, and she was fighting to keep them in check. Getting up from her desk, she went to check on the progress of her most senior civil servants. Looking over the incomplete report on their computer, she furrowed her brows, as the team looked up in fear, worried about what she would say.

"Looks like you'll be working late tonight if you want that on my desk by Friday." She said casually, though they knew by her stern face that they didn't have a choice. She turned to address the rest of the room. "And everyone, I need you all in this weekend." She saw a few faces begin to protest but put up her hand. "No excuses. We have two weeks to finish this. There's no time to waste!"

Philip Rutnam, the department's most senior civil servant, stood. Priti rolled her eyes as she saw the entitled expression on the dull man's face.

"That is absolutely unreasonable! You cannot make the whole department work unpaid overtime!" He cried, in his slimy voice. Priti shot him a dark look. She wouldn't entertain his power-play today.

"I expect to see you all this weekend." She said authoritatively, turning around and heading back into her office.

Several hours later, she heard a knock on the door, and welcomed in her favourite civil servant. He was completely loyal to her, from what Priti believed was like-mindedness, but for him was a genuine terror of losing his job.

"Priti, I just thought I should let you know that Philip has been telling everyone not to come to work this weekend. He said that we have no obligation to work outside of hours and so you can't punish us if we don't show up." He said tentatively, as Priti drew in a sharp intake of breath.

"That man! God, I just need him out the way so we can get this done. This is not the time for his petulance."

"I thought he would've quit months ago, since he clearly doesn't like how you run things." He said, and Priti thought for a minute.

"How did people respond when he said that? They are still coming this weekend?"

"Yes, I think most of them will. They'd be too scared not to." He worried that he'd said the wrong thing, but if anything Priti looked pleased.

"Good. I can't have him undermining my authority. He's acting like a bloody union leader."

"Yes." He chuckled slightly. "We'll get more work done this weekend without him around." He joked, but Priti appeared to consider.

"Wait." She said, as she got up her schedule on her computer and began to look for vacancies, noting them down on a post-it note and handing it to him.

"I need you to spread a message for me. There's been a change of plan. Make sure everyone is in at these times, and make sure Philip doesn't hear about it."

"On it." He nodded dutifully. "Why...?"

"I'm taking your advice! If he doesn't like how I make my decisions, then he won't be involved in them."

"Oh, I wasn't suggesting-"

"Well, that's what's happening. Thank you, off you go now." She shooed him off, feeling smug as he smiled meekly.

*

As planned, that week Priti met with her department outside working hours, with Philip being none the wiser. She felt the office had been more productive than ever, and without his constant pestering, her work days ended with a feeling of satisfaction over annoyance. One afternoon, with meetings being held hours before regular working hours, most of the department went home early, baffling Philip as he watched.