38

As soon as the three of us made it into the safe house, I was grabbed by Sterling and shoved against the wall. He was seething, and I winced as my bruised body was jostled.

    "I thought we were friends," he hissed, his eyes cutting into me like knives. "You kept all this shit under the surface-"

    "We are friends," I said back, trying to push him off. "You don't need to know about everything I'm doing."

    I glanced over his shoulder, seeing Persia and Joe sitting at a table, watching me. I looked away.

    "No, no, no," Persia said, her chair scraping the floor as she got up. "You don't get to act like that. You don't get to act like you're ashamed." She pushed Sterling aside, and he let her.

    I looked down at her as she approached me, her eyes glancing over my clothes and bruises, then up to my face again. "Why do you do this?" she asked, her eyes wet. "I heard what happened. Three people, dead."

    I looked away.

    Persia's hand flew up, slapping me hard across the face. My teeth cut into my cheek, again, and I tasted blood as the room fell silent.

    "Don't look away from me."

    I looked back down at her, watching as tears began falling from her cheeks.

    Joe stood up, his arm in a sling, and dragged a chair out. "Sit down, Asa. Persia, you too."

    I glanced at Sterling and Locke, who were watching me with stony expressions on their faces as I walked to the table, settling down slowly into the wooden chair. Persia sat back down in her chair, wiping her eyes.

    A woman walked into the room, looking over at Locke. "The bullets are out. Jazz is resting now. She'll be okay."

    Locke's stony expression fell, his face relaxing as he sagged down against the wall. His hands were shaking as he brought them up to his face. "Fuck. Thank fuck."

    The room was silent for a while, Locke sitting against the wall, and Sterling stayed behind me. I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck, and I reached back to rub it, as if my hand could shield me from his gaze.

    "I don't expect an explanation from you, Asa," Persia said, lighting a cigarette. "I know you're fucked in the head. Your friends know it too."

    True.

    "But tell me, Asa. Why is it that as soon as you come back into our lives, my husband goes missing, Joe gets shot, and we're dragged from our homes to a safe house because of something you did? Are you responsible for my husband going missing?"

    I glanced at Joe, then back at Persia. "You still care about that piece of trash, huh?"

    Persia's face ignited with rage, and she stood up, lifting her hand to slap me again. Joe reached up, grabbing her wrist.

    "Persia."

    "He left on his own, and he won't be back," I said, leaning back in my chair.

    Persia shook her head, clenching her jaw in frustration. "Whatever, Asa."

    "What have you done, Asa?" Joe asked. "Why are we here? My son is here too, you know. How long do you expect us to stay here, huh?"

    I was silent for a while, staring at him. I glanced at Locke, who was in the same spot, watching me. He nodded. I turned to look at Sterling. He didn't change his expression or make a move.