Jack

Today was fast becoming one of Jack's favourite days. He was having one of those brilliant unexpected afternoons that was filled with good food, easy conversation and excellent company. They were all buzzing after winning the match and didn't want to go back to reality, so after they'd finished their first drink they decided to stay for lunch, which turned into dessert, and then a few more drinks.

Jack hadn't been able to take his eyes, or his hands, off Iz all day. She'd looked so cute all bundled up at the match, and he'd even felt a bit jealous when Anna had cuddled up to her inside her huge coat. He wanted to be the one holding her, keeping her warm. He kept finding ways to touch her, or to be near her, without going so far as to cross a line. He knew he was playing with fire and he was getting closer to the point of no return, but he couldn't stop himself. He'd said to John that he was keeping his feelings for Iz in a separate box, but that box was becoming harder to keep locked. He'd showed all the restraint he had by not kissing her after he'd come off the pitch. He'd been so close, and he probably would have just done it if that twat from the other team hadn't interrupted them. He knew it would have been wrong, Iz deserved better, but he'd be thinking about that moment over and over for the foreseeable future.

He'd played his best game today and it was because of Iz, he wanted to impress her, to make her proud. Claire had never been to see him play and he knew it was only a small local league, but it was important to him. Seeing the girls cheer them on today had really lifted his spirits, he'd been playing for them. Well, for Iz. He'd seen the way she looked at him when he first walked on to the pitch, and he'd absolutely played up to it, tucking his shorts a little higher and standing a little taller. He didn't have her down as the type to be into football players, but maybe, hopefully, it was just him she was into. He was sure he'd overheard Anna ask if they were shagging but he'd not been able to hear Izzy's response. He'd grinned at the thought, losing focus for a split second and had almost tripped over the ball.

It pained Jack to peel himself away from Iz and join the others at the table, even with the promise of roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds. He was hoping they'd take up the same position afterwards, once they'd eaten. He felt so content, with their limbs intertwined, surrounded by his best friends in the world. It was making him a bit soppy and misty eyed, thinking about what could be. "Jack, we should get up", Iz said, putting her hands on his, which were still resting on her legs. "I dunno if I can bab, I'm too comfy. Can we just stay here, forget everyone else?", he said, as he tried to snuggle into her. Isobel looked into his eyes, "I'd love to, but you know we can't", she said with a sad smile, as she stood up and pulled him with her.

"This is banging this, just wot I needed after today", Jack said, shovelling potatoes in his mouth. "Can't beat a roast dinner", John said, and the boys all nodded in agreement. The girls rolled their eyes. Mel mouthed the words as Jack said them, "nothing beats me mom's though", and the girls all burst out laughing. "Wot?!", said Jack, looking around the table with a puzzled look on his face. "Ah don't worry Jack, we just know you better than you know yourself", Iz said, grinning, as she put her hand on his thigh under the table. It was a subconscious gesture, just to reassure him, but her hand was a bit higher than expected, and it made him twitch. He needed to focus on his food, otherwise everyone would think the stuffing had given him a semi. "Iz", he leant over and whispered, "you're gonna have to move your hand, otherwise I ain't gonna be able to stand up". She went bright red, which made Jack laugh, and quickly removed it, staring straight ahead.

The friends all continued to chat about their upcoming week. Mel and John were counting down to the weekend, which meant the beginning of half term. Anna was stopping at her sisters but by the looks of things, would be spending more time with Ben. Jack and Mason had a busy week ahead. They had teamed up with a local joiner and were helping him fit sinks and washing machines in a few new kitchens. Jack also had Izzy's boiler to service on Wednesday, but that didn't feel like work.