30: TURN AND BURN

Everyone sat into their usually seats in the meeting room on base waiting to be informed on what they would be doing exactly today. Except there was confusion in the room, there was no Ana or Maverick to be seen. Bradley had confirmed that she would no longer be there because she had gotten grounded for this mission. Immediately everyone broke out into a riot when they found out. All of them at agreed that she was the best out of all of them and that she was probably the only one out of all of them that could for sure survive the mission. Even Hangman agreed with this statement. Maybe it was because they were friends now or he actually set aside his huge ego and accepted that he wasn't the best there.

Cyclone walked into the room interrupting their discussion that immediately shut them up when he walked into the room. They didn't want  him hearing them talk crap about his decision. People got more annoyed when Cyclone walked up there to the podium acting like he was better than Maverick, he was the one that would make this mission successful. It took the pilots even more by surprise when  after Cyclone had informed them that he would be teaching them from now on he told them the new details about the mission.

Pointing at the screen he described his new plan that of course seemed better than Maverick's to him, "As of today, there are a few more new mission parameters. Time to target is four minutes." Everyone immediately shared "what the f*ck" glances between each other clearly shocked since the time had been increased by a minute and a half.  This time Bob decided to speak up about how crazy his idea seemed, "Sir with all due respect but won't that gives the enemy more time to intervene?" The pilots looked at Cyclone awaiting an answer.

Annoyed looking like the answer was clear in front of them Cyclone stated, "You have a higher chance of survival in a fight with enemy aircraft than a head on collision into a mountain," he stated plainly. Bradley was boiling with anger at his choices, he thought he was all in the wrong for choosing to change the time. Trying to stay quiet because Ana told him that she would handle it he bounced his leg trying to hold back his remarks but he couldn't anymore so he shot back at the admiral saying, "Survival rates? What do you care about those? You already threw away are biggest chance of survival, Rogue and Maverick."

Not that anyone showed on their face but they were all happy that Bradley had stood up for her like that. They all had felt horrible that she had gotten kicked off the mission. Through all her seriousness when flying she really brought the light onto the base, through simple jokes, conversations and just plainly messing around. All her jokes just caused everyone to loosen up, the mission was serious and she helped to tone down the nerves no matter what she was going through. She always seemed to help. And not to mention she is one hell of a good flyer, everyone thought that she for sure would get the mission leader position. Honestly they wanted her to be in that role, she would be able to keep everyone calm and she had successfully flew the mission before.

"Lieutenant may I remind you of-" Cyclone was cut off from his scolding from a beeping sound coming from the TV that now showed two singles approaching the course. "What the hell?" Cyclone crossed his arms immediately knowing who the two culprits were inside the f-18s. Along with Cyclone Bradley figured it out almost instantly as well, he was proud but he wanted her feet back on the ground that second.

Out of all the silence in the class trying to figure out who the two were going to the course a voice came out over the radio, "Rogue and Maverick to Range Control, entering Point Alpha. Confirm green range." Cyclones posture tightened knowing they both were going to prove him wrong that his new guidelines were utter crap and knowing he had no control over the two up there. All he could do was order them down. But would they listen? No. Hearing Ana's voice Bradley leaned forward in his chair trying to hear the radio better.

All they did was listen for the next words to be spoken by Range Control, "Range Control to Rogue and Maverick, green range is confirmed. I don't see an event scheduled for you today ma'am."