Driving home for Christmas

Começar do início

"I love it." A grin ignites across my face and I practically throw myself into his body. I press tens of small kisses to his smiling lips when I murmur, "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Now something odd that was happening over the past few weeks makes sense to me. On our weekends off Derek was always suggesting I meet one of the girls for lunch or go hangout with them for a couple of hours, but now I know he needed me out of the house so he could work on this. If he wasn't literally obsessed with me the other twenty three hours of the day, I'd be offended he was trying to get rid of me.

Knowing he made me this vanity and all the time and effort he put into it makes this present one hundred times better than anything he could have ever bought me.

I finally pull away from his soft lips, my smile still etched into my face. "You're not getting your present until we're in Chicago."

Derek frowns and his thumb sweeps over my cheekbone. "I told you I don't want anything."

"Shut up," I mumble with another kiss on his lips.

Derek chuckles when he checks his watch. His eyes lift to mine with a nod of his head. "We better leave now to beat traffic."

I do one last scan of my apartment and do a mental checklist to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. Snacks, comfy sweats, boyfriend who's not my boyfriend until he asks me, suitcase, glasses.. I'm good.

"I'm ready."

Derek grabs all my bags and once we're settled into his truck and he pulls out of my apartment parking lot, I connect my phone to the aux and queue up the Christmas music playlist I made specifically last night.

"You get to listen to me singing for the next eleven hours. How lucky are you?"

"Wait until you hear me singing," Derek laughs, kissing my knuckles before he brings our joined hands to the gear stick and shifts. "I'm ten times worse than you."

The tune starts playing through the speakers and I reach over to turn up the volume, grinning at him. "Have at it."

"I'm driving home for Christmas..."

"Oh wow," I wince through my laughter. "You win. That's so bad."

Derek joins in on my laughter and soon enough we're both singing horribly along to the lyrics. It will be a Christmas miracle if both our ears aren't bleeding by the end of this road trip.

-

"You are such a bad influence," Derek mumbles around the handful of chips I pass to him, his attention focused on the road ahead.

A couple hours has passed since we left DC and we're now somewhere in Pennsylvania, surrounded by trees, trees and more trees.

"It's Christmas," I say, passing more chips to him. He opens his mouth and takes them without question. "Calories don't count at Christmas."

"Oh yeah?" He chuckles, casting me a quick look. "Who told you that?"

"The law."

Derek snorts a laugh, squeezing my inner thigh. "I must have been sick the day they taught that in law school."

When Derek shakes his head at my offer of more chips, I tip the bag back into my mouth to get all the crumbs. I laugh when the chip dust falls all down the front of my sweatshirt. I'm a mess. "How bad do you want me right now?"

Derek raises an eyebrow, amused eyes dancing between me and the road. "You think I won't pull this car over right now? Because I will."

I love being in a relationship. I'm rocking the homeless look ninety percent of the time and I'm still one hundred percent getting my back blown out later.