Chapter 17

I can smell the burning fire in the air full of ashes, this time it wasn't my doing...someone else is burning down the forest...I close my eyes for a brief moment, why does it have to end like this? Why destruction?
-"Ryuko..."-Faythe speaks softly, almost in a whisper, I turn to look at her, she's scared...
-"Faythe...it will be alright"-
-"Ladies, you must run now, escape from here...I'll fight them off"-Zethyr's voice is serious and his honey colored eyes now glowing golden.
-"Zethyr...they will know"-my voice breaks without me wanting it to, I care about him, back when we met he was there when I've just turned a dragon, he helped me...he gave me shelter...
-"It's alright, I've been a coward hiding...helping that evil man, my kind was exterminated and I did nothing..."-as he speaks his skin starts glowing, his body shifting, when he speaks again he's a creature made of energy-"I'm a spirit of this forest...without me the trees will die, and many other creatures will be killed, this time I won't hide...I'll fight"-his voice now sounds like the wind when it howls, the air around him starts swirling forming a small hurricane that he uses against the soldiers coming into the cave. My sight becomes blurry as tears fill my eyes, how was I so stupid?
-"Ryuko we must run!"-she pulls from my arm and drags me into the entrance, with her sword she opens her way through the soldiers.
-"Faythe jump on my back"-I command her, without asking anything she does as I say. Going back into my dragon form I take her away with me, flying as fast as I can hoping she won't fall I get away from Hosho while the sound of the trees screaming in agony tortures my ears.

...

Everyone cheers for our new ruler, Queen Aisling, I stand in silence hidden in a dark corner. I don't like her...before anyone sees me I walk away from the crowd, my steps always silent...the trained steps of a murderer. What have I done...? Without being conscious about it my feet take me to the river, that one that divides Hosho from Kielray...the magical forest, full of unknown creatures...I have sold it, how could I? -"You came back..."-that voice...a beautiful woman stands in front of me, strands of dark blue hair falling on her gorgeous face, her arms are full of scales and her eyes are light blue with slit pupils just as a cat's.
-"Laia...I..."-
-"Don't say a word Kenneth...how could you? This was your home..."-the sorrow in her words makes my heart ache, I'm a true monster...
-"You have to go, she plans on destroying this place..."-
-"She wants something else and you know it!"-Laia snaps making the water rise from the river covering her arms and body as an armor.
-"Please...I beg you..."-
-"Get away Kenneth, you don't belong here anymore!!"-
-"But..."-a wave of water pushes me back hitting me hard on the chest, she attacks me over and over her eyes glowing blue. She screams and starts crying, I run away from there not looking back...this is the price I must pay...as I look up at the sky I find myself looking at a serpent like body soaring through the sky and then disappearing between the trees, was that...a dragon?