08: I Can't Even Spell English

Shawn leads me up to his room, as if I've never been here before. We walk past the closet in the hallway which is where I hid when Shawn was chasing me around his house. When we reach his room, memories flood my mind. The ones that hurt the most are the ones of Shawn and I cuddling on his bed, watching movies. Disney movies. Shawn sits on his bed, pulling out his English book. I take a second to look at his room. I could barely recognize it, his walls were bare of fan-art posters, his guitar was no where to be seen, and his notebooks that were usually on his nightstand were gone. "Are you going to walk in?" Shawn asks. I notice I've been standing in his doorway all this time. Taking a few steps inside, I take a breathe of reassurance.

"S-So, where do you want to start?" I ask. Shawn just shrugs and opens his book.

"From the beginning I guess..." He sighs. I open my book, standing in a spot as I read through my notes. "You can sit down you know," he says, moving over to make room for me on his bed.

"I'm fine, thanks," I say after a slight pause.

Shawn's P.O.V

Awkward silence...

Why is she like this? I never did anything to her. Well not anything I can think of. I have to give her credit though, it's hard to hide what you're thinking and feeling, for her it was easy. But I could see through her mask to see that she's pretending. Or even hiding something. But what? Obviously an emotion, but I can't put a name on it. It seems as if she was hurt a while ago, but it was so drastic it's still affecting her today. Or maybe her pet died last night or a relative. But I don't know this girl so it could be anything. Maybe she's stuck up. Maybe she's upset cause her instagram, what are they called again, oh, selfie only got one like. Or maybe she isn't like that. She doesn't seem like one of those girls. Wait a minute... Carter and Jack said that she hated them all her life. If I've been best friends with them, maybe she hates me too. Now it all makes sence! She's not sad, she's pissed off that she has to be here with me.

Before I could stop myself I blurt out, "You hate me don't you." She looks at me in shock.

"Wh-what do you mean?" I got her right where I want her.

"Do. you. hate. me?" I repeat myself. She was still shocked as if she didn't understand English.

"What makes you think that?" She asks mystified.

I shrug, "Well it's obvious that you don't want to be here."

"That doesn't mean I hate you," she blurts.

My eyes widen, "Why don't you want to be here then?" I question. She doesn't answer.

"Let's just start with the tutoring shall we," she suggests.

"Fine..." I reply looking at my sheet. "Explain this to me," I start, grabbing her attention, "what's the point of having a 'k' on knife, why can't it just be n-i-f-e. Now it looks like k-nife." She rolls her eyes, but I thought I saw a small spark of amusement in her dull blue eyes. Wonder if they were always that dull...

Cadence's P.O.V

I couldn't believe him. I didn't know what to say. Of course I don't hate him!

Fifteen minutes of studying pass and I notice how much he was in need of a tutor. The accident must of also damaged his speaking, spelling and reading skills. And I caused the accident...

No Cadence, don't think about that, not now, I tell myself. But now that I thought of the topic, I couldn't even look at Shawn. Not with out the image of him being all bruised up, covered in cuts, stitches and casts.

"Want something to eat?" He asks out of the bloom, "it's Five-Thirty." I look at the clock in his room, then down at my phone in my hands. After I nod, he gets up and walks over to his closet. When he opens it, I catch a glimpse of his guitar. My eyes widen, he still has it?

I wanted to ask him about it but I kept my mouth shut. Closing the closet door, he comes back with a box of Ritz Crackers. We continue to study while eating crackers.

"So, define what a noun and a pronoun is and give an example," I say quietly.

Shawn looks up as if he was looking up at his brain, searching or the answer. Then he sighs in frustration, "I can't do this," I frown slightly, "Mrs.Test might as well fail me now."

I look down at the floor for a second then back up at Shawn, "Awe come on, it's just English, one of the easiest subjects."

"Cadence," He looks at me, "I can't even spell English!"

"Sure you can," I say encouragingly, "e-n-g-l-i-"

"I was being sarcastic," He says with a straight face, "but thanks for spelling it out for me."

I sigh, "Listen, maybe we just need a break." He just nods and murmurs something amongst the line "okay." He sits there as I stand there. He does his awkward lip bite thing and that simple action brought me down slightly. Suddenly my phone rings and I look down at the caller ID.

Dr.Kirby

I awkwardly look at Shawn, "Uh, sorry, but I got to take this." He nods, gets up and leaves the room. I sigh before answering the phone. "Hello?" I say.

"Hello Cadence, Mrs.Mendes, Mr.Mendes and Aaliyah are coming over tonight, I was wondering if you'd like to join our meeting."

I was one of the people who would wander around when I was on the phone. And that's just what I did.

"Well... I guess I could," I answer while walking around Shawn's room.

Crash!

I jump and look at Shawn's closet where a box fell out of. Gasping I walk over.

"Are you okay Ms.Surley?" Dr.Kirby asked.

"Y-ya, something just fell," I say truthfully, "so I'll see you tonight."

"So long," he replies then the line goes dead. I end down to pick up the cardboard box, which weighed a ton! I managed to lift it over my head and set it on the top shelf of Shawn's closet. Before I closed the door something caught my eye. On the box was written S.M and a piece of paper was hanging out. I shrug and close the door. As soon as I sit back down Shawn walks in.

"Hey, I'm sorry but I kinda, have to go," He says awkwardly.

"Oh, um sure, we got quiet a bit done anyways," lie.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow I guess," he says as I nod. I get up and walk past him. We walk downstairs while I was so lost in my thoughts night now. Half of me was excited to get out of this awkward, saddening memory filled atmosphere. The other half of me wanted to stay. I missed Shawn so much and it kills me every time he looks into my eyes.

"Oh, hi sweetie," Shawn's mom greets, "if you want I could give you a ride home." I look up at her. I could see in her eyes that she had other plans, but I play along.

"Sure, thank you Mrs.Mendes," I say. Shawn walks to the door and puts on his vans.

"How did tutoring go?" she asks him with curiousity.

Shawn looks at me, then at her, then back at me, "Good," he answers simply. I bite my lip, trying to hold back my frown. With that Shawn leaves the house.

"So are you coming with us to meet with Dr.Kirby," Aaliyah asks, coming out of the living room. I nod.

"Well, we're about to leave so get your shoes on."

Sorry that it takes a while for me to update, I sorta had a writers block for this chapter for a bit. Also I'm starting to get busy with Softball. THANK YOU FOR READING, VOTING, COMMENTING AND EVERYTHING. I kinda freak out every time I get a notification. And I love getting comments! I get so excited to hear what you guys have to say! So leave some below!

1. What is your favourite class?

2. On a scale of 1-10 (ten being highest) how weird do you think Shawn's thinking is?

3. Who's your favourite Magcon or O2L boy?

Till next time!
~ xXShawnMattCamXx 🍧💖