Ruse Upon Scheme

If I went to Wildewall, the entire court and everyone around it would know of it.

Every debt collector, every sailor and merchant who cursed the Montbows, every petty thief from the Thundercoast region who knew we had coin in our coffers now, was listening and looming in the shadows. Ariane not having a shred of compassion for our situation wasn't a surprise, but even she had to understand I couldn't take off with her and Oleander to the autumn ball.

"My family would practically be begging to get robbed. Or worse," I protested. "Especially if Ytel may be planning on coming here. I have to decline the invitation."

Ariane looked at me like I had just insulted the thunder god. "One does not decline an invitation from the queen. It's not a question. It's an order."

"If I don't decline, there may not be a house Montbow to return to!" 

Leaving for the Serpentine mountains for a week had been a risk we could take. Nobody but the knight commander, a few court clerks, and my carefully chosen guide, Endris, knew I wasn't at the Thundercoast. But an event as large as the autumn ball couldn't stay hushed and hidden. I would likely be gone for at least a month.

While my heart pounded with fear, Ariane's eyes swept the coastline dispassionately.

"Yes, your enemies will certainly feel emboldened, knowing the blessed storm-touched of house Montbow isn't home and won't be able to strike them down," Ariane simply said.

"Exactly." I crossed my arms. "I am not leaving the Thundercoast unless my entire family is coming with us."

Ariane mirrored my annoyed tone. "Have you already forgotten what I said? Ytel, just like everyone else, must answer to the invitation of the queen. He will need to be back in Wildewall in time for the ball, like all of us."

I stared at her.

Ariane clacked her tongue. "Meaning, if Ytel wishes to overwhelm the Montbows, steal the land, and cover up the evidence of what he did, he will need to attack soon. Once the window of opportunity passes, everyone who has the kind of manpower to attack the Montbows must be present in Wildewall."

"That doesn't mean they can't send warriors to the Thundercoast during the ball," I pointed out.

"That remark only goes to show how little you remember of court life." Ariane sighed. "Think, Laurence. Each and every noble who is someone to this world is leaving their home to travel to Wildewall for the ball. All leaders are forced to leave their region, and nobody is risking an invasion while they are gone. Their best warriors will be home."

"So, what are you suggesting, then?" I asked. "You're saying we leave at the last possible moment and slide into the halls of the palace with a stretched leg, giving Ytel no chance to attack and then make it to Wildewall in time?"

"No," Ariane replied. "I'm saying you, me, the miracle herbalist, and our servants, if you have any, will depart from the Thundercoast at once."

"What?"

"We ride to Vespertin in the night to make it seem we left and tried to do so in secret. In reality, we return by ship."

"... What?"

"Is what the only word you can say?" Ariane asked with a smile that was stuck between amused and contemptuous. "We pretend we leave, see if Ytel takes the bait, and then we actually leave. That is all. It's plain and it's simple. I assume there are no more questions."

Ariane turned on her heels and started walking back to the mansion.

I walked beside her, speeding up my pace to keep up with her strides. "And you just arranged this already? Without consulting us?"