Stay or Go

When I sped to the staircase with Endris right behind me, Valda was already on the steps. Her dark curls bounced as she descended towards the ground floor, and despite her casual way of walking, I knew she'd been eavesdropping. It was a bad habit she'd picked up ever since I came of age and our parents started involving me in 'secret meetings' but not her. It didn't seem to matter I told her what we'd discussed afterward, if she asked, most of the time.

I ignored my sister for now and passed her without saying a word. The stables would have to make do as a safe place to talk. They were too open to provide good hiding spots for furtive family members, and the horses wouldn't gossip.

As I entered the stables, the scent of sweet hay and manure filled my nose. Like any other Montbow building, the stables were picked clean of anything that had value on the market. All that was left were hooks to hold reins and saddles mounted on the wall in an orderly row, and dust floating in the sunlight.

"No, we're not going for a ride, love," I told the speckled mare, which came up to the fence and tickled my cheek with her hairy nose. I patted her neck and turned to Endris. "You need to leave tomorrow," I ordered. "I don't want to lie to my family about what he is."

Endris arched a brow at my urgent tone. "Is that why you dragged me outside? Aside from Lady Montbow insisting we stay in the mansion overnight and have Oleander perform a small task for her, I see no reason we would've changed plans."

"Great to hear," I replied through gritted teeth. "And does everyone understand this plan? Because your good friend, Oleander, doesn't seem to want to go."

Endris blinked. He didn't seem surprised at my words, and I wondered if Oleander had said the same to Endris as to me. I wasn't so arrogant as to assume the only reason Oleander didn't want to leave the mansion was to win my favour. After all, what did he stand to gain from that? It was likely the other way around: he wanted my favour because he felt alone and wanted a roof over his head.

I sighed. "I suppose I understand his fear of traveling to the Starcross woods. What if there are no others like him out there anymore? If he had a loving family, he wouldn't have been wandering around in human territory alone and left for dead in the vall—"

"He's not the only one left," Endris stated firmly. "There are others."

"How do you know?"

Endris' eyes narrowed, and he frowned. "All Oleander needs to do is cross the Starcross woods so he is no longer in the queen's domain," he said eventually. "He'll be safe there."

I didn't like how Endris stalled and kept sidestepping questions, but that was a minor concern compared to getting the elf out of here. At least we still seemed to be on the same page regarding that.

I raised and dropped my arms. "Oleander knows how dangerous it is for him to be here. I know he knows. Why would he not be eager to leave the Thundercoast?"

"Because he's taken a liking to you and wishes to stay at your side."

I opened and closed my mouth. "... What?"

Endris crossed his arms and glared at me, showing me there was no way he would reiterate his words. I'm glad he didn't. I felt embarrassment burning in my cheeks.

"Why?"

Endris shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine."

"He told you that?"

"Yes."

"Literally, in those words?"

"I will not repeat myself," Endris bit.