Invitation for Two

Ariane Seydal never failed to make an entrance, be it in person or through a messenger.

She had a habit of only employing attractive servants and wrapping them up in the latest Wildewall fashion, from stable-helps to the head of her guard. The man who arrived on our doorstep at first light could have had a lucrative existence posing as a model for sculptors. He looked as if they cut him from stone, with sharp features and alabaster skin.

We were lucky Gisela and I, while practicing archery outside in the early morning, were the ones to see the man first. Had it been Valda, she would have swooned over the young, living sculpture donned in a ruby red, well-fitted doublet. I looked too. Naturally. I wasn't blind. The young man was attractive, but he didn't hold a candle to Oleander. I accepted the letter with Seydal's seal the messenger offered me and tucked it into my bag for later.

"Good morning," Gisela said, the only one of us unimpressed by the man's looks. "How may we help you?"

The messenger's gaze traveled to the bow and arrow, which Gisela still cautiously held in her hands. Then he smiled and bowed with flair. "I am here to announce Lady Ariane Seydal is on her way to the Thundercoast and expects you and her accommodation to be ready for her arrival."

"Oh, shit," blurted out of my mouth before I could stop myself. I felt the colour draining from my face at the prospect of meeting my betrothed again. It was too soon. It was always too soon.

Gisela ignored my outburst, but I felt the anger radiating off of her in waves. She took after our mother in that sense. "Thank you for your message," she spoke crisply. "When can we expect Lady Seydal to arrive?"

The alabaster man bowed his head again. "I left a few moments ahead, Lady Montbow. She stayed in Verspetin."

I almost swore again, but bit my tongue in time. Just as we had established a steady flow of coin and a new routine at the Thundercoast, Ariane had to come and stomp all over it. "I had thought Lady Seydal would've waited until we extended an invitation to her," I said.

So I would've been ready. 

"So I see," the messenger replied. "However, Lady Seydal insisted she travel here after hearing about a mysterious herbalist. She will be shortly."

"Then we best start preparing for her arrival. Laurence, let's go." Gisela jutted her arrow back into the quiver and slung her bow over her right shoulder. She didn't spare the messenger another glance as she marched into the mansion.

I nodded at the messenger and followed, but felt like there were pounds of lead in my boots weighing me down.

Ariane's visit made no sense. Ten years ago my betrothed had made it very clear she wanted nothing to do with me nor to speak with me until I was a knight and house Montbow was out of exile. Now she was here regardless. I didn't want to face her. Not until we were forced to wed. 

Gisela marched up the stairs to gather everyone from their rooms. Surprisingly, Valda was the first one who made it down to the lobby. Her expression was colder than a winter storm raging on the coast as she came up to me. "Ariane Seydal is here?"

"Good morning to you too, Valda," I replied dryly. "And no, she's not. Not yet, anyway."

"Why does she want to be here?" Valda blurted.

"I suppose she's here to see firsthand if we are up to her standards now." I shrugged, hiding my discomfort behind a why smile. "She won't trust another's word. And isn't this good? If she sees we are doing well, you may even go to the autumn ball."

My head knew it was good for our family if Ariane was willing to visit and approved of us and our antidotes. But my treacherous heart was upstairs. My eyes darted up toward Oleander's room. I knew I couldn't stay hide in the Thundercoast with Oleander forever. I just hadn't realised my duty would catch up with me this soon.