Tread Lightly

Oleander moved nimbly despite almost freezing to death in Serpentine's lake. He still looked like he could use a hot bath and a hairbrush, but he didn't have trouble keeping up with me and Endris while crossing the lush fields that lay below the mountains.

It was much easier to breathe here. With the warm sun on my face and life blooming in the fields, the Serpentine mountains already felt like nothing but a bad memory. We'd shed our jackets and scarves and I would gladly stay away from the death trap cliffs behind us forever if I could.

Perhaps Oleander was only relieved to be away from the biting cold as well, but I swore he almost seemed comfortable with me and Endris now. Had it been me in his stead, I would've been far less gracious about traveling with elves. Knowing I was heading for an elven settlement, I might've even tried to escape.

To prevent Oleander from running off, I walked behind him. I watched how he crossed the winding river that lay between us and the road leading to the Last Stop. With unearthly grace, the elf swooped from stone to stone until he reached the other side. He was quicker on his feet than Endris. It almost made me self-conscious of the slurping and splashing of my boots in the water since I wouldn't risk jumping on the slippery stones.

After reaching the shore, I walked beside Oleander. "Aren't you fatigued or stiff or something?"

Oleander blinked and looked up at me in question.

"I've never seen a man thaw this fast."

Oleander's jaw went slack in surprise, then his face lit up. "Likewise. You pointed a knife at me when we met, and now you have invited me to find shelter in your home with your family."

My ears grew hot. "That's not what I meant!"

Endris snorted from in front of us, adding insult to injury. "He got you there," he said, like he wasn't the reason the elf was going to my family's estate.

I ignored Endris. "What I meant is: nearly freezing isn't an affliction one just walks off moments later."

"Oh, well..." Oleander carefully rolled his shoulders and winced. "I don't know how I got in the lake, but I really am unharmed. Only my shoulder hurts a little. But thank you very much for your concern, Laurence."

A warm smile accompanied Oleander's words. We held each other's gaze for a moment, and then Oleander's foot caught on a loose rock. He staggered, and I stretched my arms and caught him.

"Whoa there, careful."

I should tell myself that too. Careful. I couldn't get close to an elf, and in my arms was definitely too close. With shafts of golden sun lighting them up, Oleander's eyes looked different from a human's. I saw iridescent green, like flares of magic, in the elf's irises. I was very aware of the silvery strands of his hair touching my arm, and of Endris' gaze prickling on me.

I quickly released Oleander and retreated. "There are loose rocks hidden in the grass," I said. "Eyes on the ground, elf, not on me."

"Sorry, I will keep my eyes to myself," Oleander apologised, his voice soft.

I looked ahead to hide my embarrassment. Tall, swaying pines lined the borders of the stone road leading to the Last Stop. Once we climbed the hill, we would see the village in midths of a green landscape dappled with rocks on one side and a forest on the other side.

Endris patted my shoulder. "Don't forget to ask knight commander Ytel for extra supplies when you arrive in town."

"And to tell him the hunt failed." I threw my head back and sighed at the sky. "Need I remind you this was your idea, Endris? Why don't you grovel for more supplies?"