|36|𝙳𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚑 𝚋𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚍

Harper dropped to her knees beside his body. She could hear her erratic breathing, feel the stones piercing her skin,  see her hands slowly lift towards him.

"Dick?' she trembled as she stared at his pale face. He had lost his natural glow, his once pink lips were now turned blue, a stark red surrounding his head bathing his brunette curls in a forlorn halo.

He was still, so so still.

Harper swallowed her nausea as she leaned over him, her hands shaking as she inched to his face. But even in death, he looked perfect. She glanced down at her blood stained hands to  his lifeless face. She could not, would not marr his virtue with her hands.

The same hands he had held lovingly. The same hands that would roam his body with adoration. The same hands he was going to one day hold and place a ring on. The now same hands which were soiled with every cruel thing imaginable. She would not do that to him. How could she? He wasn't a monster, not like her. He refused to turn his back on Jason , a vow she swore to uphold. A vow she broke and he persued. A belief so strong it got him killed.

A shuddering breath escaped her as she lowered her hands to his suit. The suit of the man who would do anything for his city, the same city who had betrayed him.

Harper tried to find a pulse, a brief second of hope where his heart would miraculously start up again. A small indication that he was alive, that he did not leave her. Her forever and always.

Yeah, what bullshit that was.

" You better wake up Dick" her voice was laced with emotion. Tears blinding her vision and clogging her throat. " I'm finally back. I'm sure you were tearing the city down for me." she croaked as she placed her hands on his chest, her eyes pleading into his closed ones. " But I'm here, with you. Like it has always been" 

It hurt. It hurt so bad. Out of everyone she lost, never would she have imagined him, laid before her-  hopeless,defenceless... alone. She wasn't there, she wasn't there when he needed her. He was always there for her but she hadn't been there for him. 

" Dick, you made a promise to me" she said shakily, her tears hitting his suit before sliding off. " The day I wanted to end it all. You told me you weren't ready for our story to end. That you would always be by my side" she took a deep breath " always and forever." 

" So you can't leave me Dick Grayson. You're breaking my heart." she cried as a sob broke her lips" So please, please wake up. I need you. I love you!''

A guttural scream filled the night air. A scream filled with so much pain it shook Gotham to its core. It was then did she hear two sets of frantic footsteps and a loud cry of her name. 

That voice, that cry. 

Harper's head snapped up, tears streaming down her face, mixing with the red on her skin. She then saw them, their mouths forming words she couldn't comprehend, the bright green hair of the boy she prayed safety for and beside him, the blue haired girl she had desperately longed for.