thirty-one

Leilani Elrod

Episode 7. Dead Calm

"He'll be fine, Lei. It's JJ."

I sighed, "I know, but we just let him leave. Can you imagine how he's feeling?" They all stared at me and I shrunk under their gazes, "I'm just worried about him."

I wasn't only worried about him, I was terrified for him. Everyone in his life had left him, made him feel alone in some type of way, and here we were, the people that were supposed to care about him the most, leaving him all alone when he's upset. I had wanted to go back to the Chateau to hopefully catch him, but they refused, telling me that I need to get my mind off things, so we're here at The Wreck.

I don't know how they could actually sit here and eat their food while he was out doing God knows what. He needed someone more than ever right now, despite him saying otherwise. I knew him and I understand what he's feeling, to the best of my abilities, anyway.

"You need to stop feeling responsible for everyone elses feelings, Lani." Kie rubbed my back.

"I don't 'feel responsible'.. I just want to help."

"You can't help everyone."

That's a lie. I could and I would. I mean, look at the way that Kie and Pope were holding hands right now. Turns out that I didn't exactly fail at everything this summer. At least on thing might work out.

"Look, he'll come around. It's.. he's doing a JJ thing."

JJ wasn't like this unless things were really bad and eventually, he was going to crash. I needed to be there for him when he did.

"You think he'll go home?" Kie asked.

I shook my head, "No. No way. He's going to turn up at the Chateau sooner or later."

They all agreed and Pope sighed, "Okay, it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once. Put it in- in a safe or a vault or something. I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. Okay, I can go figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning.

"Yeah, let's do it."

"What about the thing with my dad?" Sarah replied to John B, tilting her head at him.

"Shit."

"What thing?"

John B was doing a thing with Ward? Man, he gave me the heebie jeebies.

"I have to go fishing with Ward."

Kie shot a glare at him, "You can't get four-hundred mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?"

"Look, I have to go."

"Blow it off!"

"I can't."

As much as I hated that he couldn't be there, I just sighed and said, "I get it, he took you in and going fishing with him is probably the least you can do. We'll figure it out, right guys?"

I didn't really know if we were going to figure it out, but we really had no other choice did we?

"Yeah, if it weren't for Ward, I'd be in foster care, so.. I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night, right?"

Why didn't we think of that before? I mean, it's not like the old bat would see us anyway.. I guess it's always night in her world. Too soon? Got it.

"Fine." Pope groaned, "Fine. Go fishing."