twenty-six

Leilani Elrod

Episode 6. Parcel 9

The sun was nearly all the way set by the time we made it back to the Chateau. John B had gone back the Camerons to "freshen up" while the rest of us just hung around. JJ had tried to teach me how to use the hacky sack again, but after hitting both Kie and I in the face nearly a hundred times, it had ended up just like the last one.

He complained about it for twenty minutes until Kie threw a beer at his face, "nearly took my-" freaking "-eye out" he had said, minus the freaking and adding an unkind word, which I told him that I would actually take his eye out if he said that again.

I think we were all trying the keep the mood light-hearted because we knew what was going to happen when John B returned, most likely not alone. If Kie knew what was about to happen, she didn't show it or try to bring it up, and I sure as heck was not going to do it. I wanted to enjoy this time with my friends while I could, despite how many times Pope yelled at us to shut up so he could continue writing his essay.

Turns out I was exactly right when I presumed that John B would return with a visitor and that Kie was absolutely oblivious to it, but I almost wished that I would've told her so that she would have left. Then we could have avoided the screaming match we now had to endure.

"You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

John looked to us for help, but Pope just shrugged while I looked away, suddenly very interested in the wood on the deck. What kind is it? Cedar, perhaps?

"Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." JJ clarified.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote. This is our thing! A pogue thing!"

I thought that Pope and I were on the same page, as in we weren't going to get involved, but I was wrong.

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this."

"Thank you!"

"When are you not uncomfortable?"

"I don't know. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."

"It's true." JJ agreed, "Most relaxed I've ever seen him."

John B then looked at me and rose his eyebrows, silently asking for my opinion. Kie began to watch me like a hawk.

I felt conflicted. On one hand, Kie was my best friend and she was my ride or die, but on the other hand, John B was like family to me and he was actually happy with Sarah. Plus, Sarah is the reason why he's not off living with some family on the mainland.

My hands began to shake. It feels real unfair that we even have to pick sides. Was Kie's hate for Sarah really more important than her love for John B?

"Don't put her on the spot like that. You know that she cares about both of you."

I breathed a sigh of relief at JJ saving the day for me, but said quietly, "I'm uncomfortable saying anything."

Kie began again, "You know, we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her."

I wanted to cry like a child when Kie twisted my words like that. It wasn't Sarah making me uncomfortable, it was the tension I felt between everyone.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Sarah finally got a few words in and I honestly agreed with her.

"Then leave."

Sarah scoffed and turned to John B, "I told you."

"Told him what, exactly? That you're a liar?"

"No, that you're a shit talking bitch."