13

I don't say a word to him at breakfast

I don't say a word to him at breakfast. Nor do look his way.

I'm too afraid and disgusted to look at him.

He doesn't say anything either. He doesn't try to approach me or apologize. The letter was highly unlikely, though. He's not one to apologize, even when he's obviously wrong.

For the few weeks I've known him, he never tried to make even the slightest move on me. I don't know what came over him, and I don't even want to find out.

I move my chair back and stand up, I've barely eaten anything, but this tension that is hanging over us makes me not want to eat, even if I forced myself to eat I feel like it would end up just coming back out.

I hear the scrape of the chair being moved and steps following me.

I'm speed walking, wanting to get to the lavatory as fast as possible.

"Wait!" Alexandre yells as I press the button in the elevator. "Venus!" He barely makes it, the doors almost squishing him.

I look straight ahead, my gaze fixated on the pattern on the walls of the elevator. I can feel his gaze drilling into me.

"I wanted to apologize," he starts. "About my behavior yesterday. I...", he pauses. "I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I don't remember everything clearly, only some bits, but I remember holding you against the wall," he exhales, then continued. "I'm just sorry if I hurt you."

"Okay."

"I know it was way over the line, and I don't even know what came over me," I still don't look his way.

"Okay."

The elevator doors open. Just on cue. I couldn't stand being alone with him in a small room any longer.

I quickly move out of the elevator, and into my room.

• • •

After the 3 hour nap I took, I decided it was time to eat something as I almost haven't eaten anything today.

As I walk into the lounge area, I see a rolling tray, filled with different types of foods.

"I ordered some food," Alexandre's voice rings out, making my head snap over to the couch, where he's sitting. "I know it doesn't make up for how I acted. I just wanted to do something for you. I feel awful."

"Thanks," I mutter and move to the tray with food. I'm so hungry right now, that it's all I can think about.

I can feel him staring at me as I eat a French toast with coffee.

"What?" I ask, with a piece of toast still in my mouth.

"Nothing," he averts his gaze. After some time, he speaks again. "Where are you from?" He asks, unexpectedly.