My Art

The relentless downpour, coupled with the obscurity of the night, blurred her vision as raindrops pounded fiercely on her windshield. She eased off the accelerator, hands gripping the steering wheel tightly, yearning to reach home before the road became more treacherous.

Abruptly, a deafening thunderclap and a fleeting flash of lightning jolted her, causing an involuntary swerve in her car's trajectory.

The loss of control was imminent, the tires emitting a hiss as the vehicle collided with a nearby post. Time seemed to decelerate as her final recollection, before succumbing to unconsciousness, was catching a glimpse of herself in the rearview mirror, drenched in blood.

Roseanne's eyelids fluttered open, only to be met with utmost darkness. She woke up in a cold sweat, disoriented and terrified. The echoes of screeching tires and breaking glass lingered in her mind, haunting her.

Tears threatened to spill as her trembling hands fumbled on the table, desperately seeking solace in the familiar. Tapping anxiously, she found the cold touch of it and clutched it tightly.

Taking a deep breath, the calming melody started filling the hospital room. Her flute.

"Play this song whenever you have nightmares, dear. It'll help" The words echoed in her mind. Despite her quivering hands and soft sobs, she persisted, letting the music weave through the chaos within.

In that moment, her emotions swirled in a whirlwind of fear and confusion. She felt a deep sense of loss, not just for her sight but for the life she once knew.

The next morning dawned with a soft glow, casting its warm tendrils over the hospital garden. Roseanne, her world cloaked in darkness, sat in serene solitude, her cold demeanor belying the kind soul within. The sound of yesterday's haunting melody still lingered in the air as she traced the contours of her flute, a silent companion in her journey through the unknown.

Then, an embodiment of sunshine wheeled herself into the garden. Bubbly and goofy, her infectious laughter resonated, cutting through the morning stillness.

"Hey there, Rosie! Mind if I join you?" she exclaimed, her tone filled with an unbridled enthusiasm that seemed to dance around the quiet surroundings.

Roseanne nodded, though her eyes couldn't meet Jennie's. "Sure," she replied, her voice a soft murmur, carrying the weight of the darkness she inhabited.

Jennie settled beside her, her wheelchair creating a soft hum against the gravel. "You know, this garden is my secret haven. The flowers, the breeze—it's like a little piece of magic," she said, her words painting vivid pictures in the air. "So, Rosie, what brings you here?"

A pause hung in the air before Roseanne spoke, "Just finding some peace, I guess."

Jennie's laughter tinkled like wind chimes. "Peace, huh? Well, you've got the right idea. Sometimes, you just gotta let the world be."

They sat in companionable silence, the rustle of leaves and distant murmurs of hospital life creating a gentle backdrop. Jennie's infectious spirit seemed to thaw the coldness around Roseanne. "You play beautiful music," Jennie remarked, her tone sincere. "I heard you yesterday."

A subtle smile touched Roseanne's lips. "Thank you. It's a way to cope, I suppose."

Jennie's eyes sparkled. "You know, coping doesn't always have to be a solo act. Sometimes, sharing the load makes it lighter."

Roseanne whispered silently, "Maybe."

Without the taller girl realizing, Jennie gazed affectionately at her, captivated by the way sunlight touched her fair skin. Jennie's eyes traced from her cheeks to her sharp nose, pausing at her cold, sorrowful eyes. Even though Roseanne was blind, Jennie sensed the hollowness and lack of vitality in her gaze, prompting a subtle frown.