Don't Forget

Stepping outside and feeling the familiar wind brushing against my clothed skin, I closed my eyes as my ears perked up at the voices speaking a language that I have not heard in a length of time while I have been away.

After having the thought of leaving everything behind, including the memories that I had treasured and broken me, I am at last back where I never wanted to return. However, unexpected events do occur in life, and I believe this is a sign for me to let go of the past in order to move forward.

"Good to be back I guess, Roseanne." I chuckled to myself before hailing a taxi.

It has been four years since I left Seoul, and here, physically, things have changed and gotten better. Even so, it became as busy as ever. However, as I passed by the frantic metropolis with its citizens moving quickly in all directions, I was overwhelmed with nostalgia as I noticed the recognizable structures.

I sighed and pulled my phone from my pocket to send a brief message to my best friend, who I had not spoken to in a few weeks due to my work and other matters.

Me:

Hey

Sorry for not messaging you for the past few weeks. Work has been keeping me busy but now not so much since I'm clearing my work schedule for that so-called reunion 🙄

Im omy to your apartment.

There better be food when I get there. The entire flight drained my entire body.

Okayy?

My Soulmate 💛:

What the fuck?!

Me:

Oh right. Forgetful me.

Yes, Im in South Korea right now.

Sooo yeah Im back ig? Only for this reunion.

ill explain everything when i get there, see you later, Lili 👋

I quietly chuckled knowing that my best friend would later grill me with a number of questions. I knew this would happen because I had not informed any of our shared friends that I was arriving.

"Are you here for a vacation?" I turned to the driver, sending a small smile at his way.

"You could say that. Just catching up with some old friends."

"Ahh, of course. Having a reunion with your best pals is always something to look forward to. Many stories to tell to one another. That's exciting." His smile extended to his eyes, and I could see that he was relishing the memories of himself and his pals by the pleased look on his face.

"It truly is." A faint smile flickered across my lips as I turned to face the window, but it quickly disappeared when I heard the following words.

"Then, you should be prepared to share your stories, particularly those pertaining to your romantic relationships, as I'm sure that's what they want to know most about."

Love

Without realizing it, the smile that tugged at my lips was slowly transforming into a contented expression on my face as I clung to the cold material that felt so calming and not hollow.

•••

I hardly had time to knock when the door to the apartment immediately opened, and two pairs of arms that I knew all too well embraced me, enveloping me in the familiar warmth and affection that I never knew I so much needed after all these years. I returned their embrace with all of my love and shut my eyes to try to hold back the tears that were starting to fall, but the feeling of their tears on my skin and the sound of their joyful cries caused me to drop all of them.