Warmth In My Chest

Rosie's POV

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to your car?"

I approach my girlfriend, who is already wearing my oversized jacket, and fix the beanie on her head. She smiles to me in return, leaning forward to press a lingering kiss on both my cheeks before kissing me deeply on the lips.

"My car is literally just across your house. As much as I want to take up your offer, you don't need to come down with me. Besides, you have a sprained ankle and I came here to check up on you. I want you to rest. We both know you need it."

She kisses me again deeply before pulling away to grab her belongings. With a soft smile imprinted on my lips, I stare at her movements, grateful that she's here with me tonight. She rushed here as quickly as she could amidst the snow when she heard I had hurt my ankle. The call ended before I could even tell her why I sprained my ankle, which was caused by me being clumsy trying to grab the snacks on top of the tall cupboard.

By the time she reached here, I told her the reason. I expected to be scolded by her but to my astonishment, she delicately touched her fingers on my ankle and I flinched, not because it hurt, but because of the soothing touch that sent warmth through my chest despite the cold weather.

I've never seen my girlfriend be so cautious in her actions as she tried to avoid injuring me on the ankle, and she kept asking me if I was okay or if I needed anything throughout the night. It's usually me who does it, especially when she's sick, but it's lovely to see her return the favor.

I absolutely adore it when she puts her attention on me. I feel her affection and sincerity, both actions and words.

When I am pulled back to reality by the softness of the fabric encasing her warm palms on my cheeks, I am cut off from thinking about my thoughts. I instantly gaze into her eyes that holds a worrisome expression. I kiss the bridge of her nose, brushing our noses together afterwards. She lets out a sigh of relief as she rubs her fingers on my nape, playing with my hair in the process.

"I love you."

I see her gummy smile.

"I love you the most, Chaeyoung."

I smile in return.

I gently tilt my head and bring our lips together for a delicate kiss. She grabs my cheeks and pecks my lips again, making me giggle out loud as she continues to peck my lips. I pull away from the attack of kisses and she whines at the loss of my lips on hers. She then chases after my lips and eventually, I give in and let her irresistible lips consume me. We hear her phone ringing, but she ignores it and continues to kiss my lips over and over again.

Who doesn't want to leave now?

After a few more kisses, we both stop kissing and I pull her into a hug, relishing the sweet aroma as I press my face against her soft skin. She reciprocately hugs me tight. We both stay in that position for a while before slowly letting go of each other, not ready to see one go away. We don't say anything and absorb each other's presence, not wanting to ruin the comfortable silence.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

I give her a delicate kiss on the forehead, murmuring a 'yes' to her skin, and watch her go towards the door until I am standing by my window, watching her form walk on the snow pile in her warm clothing.

She then makes an abrupt stop. Throwing a happy smile at my direction, and my bewildered expression turns to a gentle one when she starts dragging both her feet on the snow pile to send a message to me. I laughed tearfully as she strives to create letters with her skippy steps and arms blissfully dangling on the side until she has completed the last letter and calms down her tiny steps.

I love you

My smile expands as the 'love' appears in the shape of a heart. I wipe away my tears and shake my head, chuckling at my girlfriend's randomness and how adorable she is right now. I would have dragged my feet to where she is and kissed the hell out of her if it hadn't been for my sprained ankle.

I mouth the three words back to her with a flying kiss at the end. She catches it with her hand and puts it on her chest in a dramatic way. Once more, her gummy smile appears, and she makes a final happy wave to me before rushing up to her car.

I sigh happily as I gently made my way towards my bed and looked up at the ceiling, still in disbelief of this familiar feeling crawling up to my chest suddenly coming back. Taking my notebook out of the drawer, I open it to find a polaroid photo. I let out a small smile as I see the person looking at the camera brightest smile I've ever seen of her with her favorite milk ice cream in her hand.

"Hello, wifey. I hope you're doing fine which I know you are. It's been awhile since I have spoken to you. I've been occupied with a lot of other things lately finding myself and trying to move forward. It's hard to move on, but I believe I'm doing lot better nowadays than I was the previous three years. I apologize if I haven't been visiting you, if I hadn't injured my ankle, I would have been able to do so sooner. I can imagine you reminding me to be more careful while you're taking care of me just like the old days. I really am a clumsy person, aren't l?"

My eyes start to burn with tears as I chuckle.

"By the way, Nayeon came here to check up on me. Im Nayeon, she's amazing, adorable and funny. She loves me just as much as I'm in love with her. I never thought I'd get to experience this feeling again after three years. But then, Nayeon suddenly entered my life with her majestic charm that surprisingly worked on me. It did took some time to let her in but it didn't stop her from pursuing me, she's a very determined and patient girl. She understood where I was coming from. I eventually fell in love with her and I am afraid. Afraid she'd leave me like how you did. Having so much joy scares me because I know it will be taken away from me in a split second."

I let the tears flow down without wiping them.

"But I'm not going to allow this negativity overtake my head anymore. You guaranteed me that even if you were gone, I'd still be able to find happiness. It took me a while, but I'm finally here. Jennie, I'm happy now. Very much so and and I'll be eternally grateful that I was able to love you. You'll always hold a special place in my heart. I love you. I hope you're resting well, my love. Until we meet again in the next lifetime."

You fought well, Jennie. You deserve the peace you have right now. You will always be dear to me. My love, I'm going to let you go now.

I put the polaroid photo back inside the notebook and return it to the box where I stored all the things that reminded me of her. When I hear a knock on the door, I swiftly turn my head to see my sister's teasing smile, but it falters when she sees my face and the box with Jennie's name written on it. She stares at it for a moment before she turns her attention to me, smiling softly.

"Are you ready, Roseanne?"

A genuine smile appears on my face as I right away respond to the three letter word.

Author's Note:
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone ❤️.