11. Time Apart

Dean was staring out the window as we talked. "Dean? Dean! You listen to a word I said?" Bobby asks. "Yeah, I heard you. I'm not calling him." Dean sighs. "Dean..." I sigh. "Don't make me get my gun, boy." Bobby says. Dean turns to face us. "We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?" He asks. "I know you're pissed. And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your..." Bobby starts. "Blood? He's my blood, is that what you were gonna say?" Dean cuts him off. "He's your brother. And he's drowning." Bobby says. "Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. Look what happened." He says motioning to me. The fading bruises on my face were an aching reminder. Bobby sighs. "So try again." Bobby says. "It's too late." Dean sighs. "There's no such thing." Bobby says. "No, damnit! No. I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like deja vu all over again." Dean says as he sits. "Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants." He huffs.

"You don't mean that." Bobby says. "Yes I do, Bobby. Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was." Dean says. Bobby has a sudden outburst of anger shoving books and papers off his desk. I jump as it all crashes to the floor. He walks towards Dean who stands. "You stupid, stupid son of a bitch! Well, boo hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess! Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good?! Bake you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" Bobby says angrily. "I told him, "you walk out that door, don't come back" and he walked out anyway! That was his choice!" Dean exclaims. "You sound like a whiny brat. No, you sound like your dad. Well, let me tell you something. Your dad was a coward." Bobby says looking Dean straight in the eyes. Dean is taken aback. "My dad was a lot of things, Bobby, but a coward?" Dean asks. "He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don't strike me as brave. You are a better man than your daddy ever was. So you do both of us a favor. Don't be him." Bobby says.

Dean turns towards the window. The whole room fades and suddenly him and I are somewhere else. Dean turns slowly in confusion. "Hello, Dean. It's almost time." Cas says. I jump. I hadn't seen him. Dean examines the room. It was beautiful. Food and beer were on the table. "Hello, Dean. You're looking fit." Zachariah says as he appears. "Well, how 'bout this? "The suite life of Zach and Cas."" Dean jokes. They both looked confused. "It's a... never mind. So, what is this? Where the hell am I?" Dean asks. "Call it a Green room. We're closing in on the grand finale, here. We want to keep you safe before showtime. Try a burger. They're your favorite. From that seaside shack in Delaware. You were 11, I think." Zach says. "I'm not hungry." Dean says. Zach sighs. "Why is she here?" Dean asks. "She needs to be kept safe. If she dies here she'll go home." Zach says. Dean looks at me. "Do you want that?" Zach asks. "No, no. Let's... bail on the holodeck, okay? I want to know what the game plan is." Dean says. "Let us worry about that. We want you... focused, relaxed." Zach says. "Well, I'm about to be pissed and leaving, so start talking, Chuckles." Dean says. Zach sighs.

"All the seals have fallen. Except one." Zach says. "That's an impressive score. That's... that's right up there with the Washington Generals." Dean jokes. "You think sarcasm's appropriate, do you? Considering... you started all this? But the final seal... it'll be different." Zach says. "Why?" Dean asks. "Lilith has to break it. She's the only one who can. Tomorrow night... midnight." Zach says. "Where?" Dean asks. "We're working on it." Zach says. "Well, work harder." Dean says. "We'll do our job. You just make sure you do yours." Zach says. "Yeah, and what is that, exactly? If I'm supposed to be the one that stops her, how? With the knife?" Dean asks. "All in good time." Zach says. "Isn't now a good time?" Dean asks. "Have faith." Zach says. "What, in you? Give me one good reason why I should." Dean crosses his arms. Zach gets in Dean's face. "Because you swore your obedience. So obey." He growls. Dean looks at Cas who looks guilty. They both disappear. He walks to me.