Ch 29 - Sharp Thorns

(TW: Descriptions of blood/injury and references to death)

??? (Focus: River)

River groggily opened his eyes, grimacing as he felt a wet spot on his side.

"Hello, River~"

River startled and bit back a scream when he felt thorns piercing his back. Blinking back tears, River looked up at his assailant.

Dark red eyes, black wings, a deep purple toga, almost black, and a softly glowing purple sword stared back at him hungrily. River shuddered.

"You," he gritted out, "You're the Seductive Rose, aren't you?"

The Rose pouted. Their wings ruffling in fake offense, "And you're the new fish boy, aren't you?"

River scowled, "New?"

The Rose smiled back, walking closer, "Yes, fish boy, the new one. Don't you know Jakey? Lovely person, I helped Bryan give him a little...nudge."

River frowned, Kay had mentioned something similar, but always looked grim right after. He never learned the full details.

The Rose hummed, "River, River, River. Do you not know why I'm here?"

River shook his head, "Why would I?"

The Rose walked closer to River, forcing him to press closer to the thorn wall. River hissed, his pupils narrowing. The Rose scraped their claws against his throat, smiling as blood began to trickle.

"The Gods, fish boy," they giggled maliciously, "The Gods, oh, the Gods. How I hate the Gods."

The Rose breathed deeply, sword glowing as they softly put their free hand around his throat, "They took so much from me, they took....everything."

They tightened their grip around his neck, River bled, and he began to fight against his restricting constraints, struggling against their hold.

The Rose smiled and pushed him into the vines.

"Thank you, fish boy."

~~~

Aphrodite Mansion (Focus: Jakey)

Jakey shivered. Bryan, who was flopped over his diary, perked up.

"Something feels wrong. Don't you think so, Bryan?"

Bryan stayed flopped. 

Jakey frowned and poked him, "Aren't you at least a little bit worried?"

Getting no response, Jakey rolled his eyes and scooped Bryan up, tucking him into a pocket.

"Guess we're going on an impromptu trip. How about we try the garden first?"

~~~

??? (Focus: Jakey)

"Not to be that person, Bryan, but I'm not sure I feel like going any farther."

The blob in his pocket flickered. Jakey sighed, tense.

"Fine, fine. We'll go in the totally-not-suspicious mountain thing."

He walked in, mustering his powers as the two went deeper. He broke into a sweat, noticing a purple tint slowly creeping onto the walls. The further he went, the more he dreaded the end. After walking some more, Jakey stopped.