I can picture his unamused face and it brings a small chuckle to my lips.

"Coworker got a name, friends, family?"

"We worked it out with her friends and work. Family's probably dead. She didn't ask to speak to any parents or siblings."

I wait and pray he doesn't ask for her name. I don't trust myself to say it out loud without giving something away. What would that be? I'm not sure but I know he will hear it.

"Good. Let me know if it becomes an issue."

"Sure," I answer and push past the wall knowing the conversation is done.

"Tell Vinnie I will send his wife something good on his behalf."

The call ends.

And relief hits me.

I wait a handful of minutes before entering the room again. They are the same as I left them and it doesn't take me long to move to her side.

"Come on," I tell her and there I go again talking gently to her.

"Okay," she replied just as softly and it pleases the beast inside. She didn't even look back.

I feel the boys stare as we walk out. More than that I almost see their worry. For her or me I'm not sure.

We walk to the office in silence and I allow myself to push the phone call away. It's over with now.

And instead, I focus on the present with her stepping into the office. It's so different than the last time we were here.
I recall her sluggish movements and the annoyingly innocent responses she gave. What if it had been someone else? She didn't even seem scared.

I pause at that. She never really seemed scared too much actually. She got along with the boys easily after only one fucking day. And even dealing with Vinnie in his state she was great.

At the thought of Vinnie, my voice escapes me 

"He's sweet on you," I say, and before I realize I am at the other side of the desk watching her stand there with those damn doe eyes.

"Who?" She asks and I swear her head even tilts.

"Well all of them really," I answer honestly.

She pauses and looks at me and maybe it's the lazy smile or the relaxed posture but I wanted to pause this moment just to stare at her.

"They can pretend to be tuff, but aren't we all just people? Bleed the same and all that."

My lips twitch and I give in with a small smile.

"James said something similar once. He might have seen that kind of thing in you. Maybe that's why he's so sweet on you."

The statement was innocent as an said it. It was meant to be a passing thought.

"Is he allowed to be sweet on me?" She asks still looking at me.

Looking straight into my fucking eyes.

"What?" The calm in my voice betrays the racing of my pulse and the rage clouding my head.

"I mean is he allowed to peruse me, are any of them?" Her voice doesn't give away anything. It's then that my twisted mind of mine gives images to her words. I picture it. Them. Fuck. 

I stand slowly from the desk. The movement is careful as if not to startle her or give away the storm inside.

She stays still as I round the desk. She hasn't made a move or even flinched.

"Why?" It's all I can manage to get out.

She watches me now warm brown eyes following my moves. I see her fire within the stolen glances, but up close it is so much more fucking gorgeous. She must see something through my mask because her eyes soften, droop and I almost lose it. This dance feels like prey and predator. A part of me comes alive for it.

We stand an inch apart and I can't stop. My hand reaches out to her cheek and jaw. Both fitting in the palm of my hand. My tan and inked fingers contrast her porcelain silk skin.

"Why?" I repeat when she doesn't answer.

She opens her mouth, "I'm just curious," her voice is breathless and it pisses me off.

"Why." This time the words hold all the venom I'm feeling.

"I told you I-"

My thumb presses into her lips to stop her from speaking while my palm still holds onto her jaw and cheek. It feels a bit consuming having so much of her in one hand.

"Why would you want blood on your hands like that," I continue, "think of their families. People would mourn them."

Her eyes widen and I watch confusion turn into understanding.

"All because they thought they could pursue you." For a moment I allow my thumb to slide across her lips. Feeling her breath through them and the plump pull under my thumb.

"You are off limits to everyone," I clarify in case it needs to be said, "no one."

"Even you?"